Mortgage Underwriter Job Overview
A mortgage underwriter is a financial expert that assesses a lender’s financial risk on a potential borrower and is ultimately responsible for approving or denying mortgage loans. The mortgage underwriting process includes investigating a borrower’s credit history, ordering appraisals, verifying income and employment, reviewing debt-to-income ratio, confirming down payment and savings account information, and ensuring all paperwork is submitted correctly based on current underwriting guidelines for loan approval. They generally work full time in the branch with occasional after-hours or off-site meetings.
Mortgage Underwriter Job Template
Mortgage Underwriter Job Summary
Our mortgage company is expanding and we are seeking an experienced mortgage underwriter to join our growing team. You’ll be responsible for ensuring real estate loan applications are completed with all required documents submitted correctly and loan files are in accordance with the latest investor guidelines and industry standards. The ideal candidate is an organized, detail-oriented professional who wants to play a key role on a winning team. If this sounds like you, send us your resume today!
Mortgage Underwriter Responsibilities
- Review all mortgage applications and supporting documents to ensure all necessary information is included for approval
- Research applicant’s employment and financial history to help determine the accuracy of application and documents
- Request additional information as needed on all documents to help determine loan risk
- Ensure once all information is gathered that it is accurate, compliance standards are met, and it is in congruence with company policies
- Communicate and document reasons for approval or rejection of loans so clients and loan officers are well-informed of decisions
Mortgage Underwriter Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or a related field
- At least 2 years of mortgage underwriting experience or mortgage lending experience required
- Familiarity with home loans and residential mortgages such as FHA, USDA, VA, conventional loan guidelines, and loan products
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office and automated underwriting systems
- Excellent decision-making and communication skills
Mortgage Underwriter Compensation
$75,199 (National Average)
Post Your Job Now
It only takes 2 minutes!
to post your ad!
Benefits of posting with us:
- Expert advice from hiring coaches
- Prime visibility on job boards like Indeed and ZipRecruiter
- Automated screening process with DISC
Mortgage Underwriter Ideal Candidate Profile
View the ideal candidate's DISC personality profile to hire the right fit.Learn More
Job template successfully copied to your clipboard!Post this job now with WizeHire
When you post with WizeHire...
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions
Ready to post your own job ad?
Begin with this template and post your job to 60+ job boards with help from one of our expert coaches.