- Unsure of what the next steps are toward your goals
- Want to develop a plan of action but are not sure how
- Struggling to see the big picture for your business
- Needing more people/resources to keep up with demand
- Coaching vs. consulting
- How to decide which type of support you need
- What to know before you get started
Coaching vs. ConsultingA coach works with a business owner to help you uncover your own solutions, improve your mindset, and understand what might be getting in the way of your success. A consultant collaborates with a business owner by providing suggestions, ideas, insights, and resources to help you take your business where you want it to go. Each professional serves a unique purpose and can also be combined to provide a hybrid approach, as Robyn does. Here’s a breakdown of what each type of support looks like:
|WHAT THEY DO||COACH||CONSULTANT|
|Assists in personal development||✓|
|Creates a roadmap for your overall business goals||✓||✓|
|Gives specific advice, ideas, and suggestions for improvements||✓|
|Shifts mindset and removes the fear of success and failure||✓|
|Helps you understand what to focus on and what’s not important||✓||✓|
|Builds strong functional systems and mitigates risk||✓|
|Highlights key areas of opportunity for your business and team||✓|
|Gets clarity on your vision for your business||✓||✓|
|Acts as your accountability partner||✓||✓|
Which type of support do you need?Now that you know what coaching and consultants can do, how do you decide which one is right for you? Robyn’s advice is to start by focusing on where you want your business to be a year from now and work backward so you can build a bridge toward success! Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Progress has slowed: Has it been a while since your business moved toward your goals? Do you feel that you aren’t progressing as quickly as you want to the next stage, or that you aren’t using your time as effectively as you should?
- Direction seems unclear: Is your best-selling product or service not the staple of your business? Are you noticing an opening in the market that you know you can fulfill but don’t know how to pivot the business?
- You’re feeling overwhelmed: Do you see gaps in your system that you can’t personally fill – such as struggling to hire the right people or keeping things organized?
- An adverse event has occurred: Have you suffered a personal loss, experienced a change in financial status, or something else* affecting your ability to strategize? *Don’t miss Robyn Koenig’s Facebook Live discussion on this topic!
How to select the right coach or consultant for your businessHiring a coach or a consultant is an investment and may be just what you’ve been looking for to create powerful change in your life and your business. Here are some tips for how to make that crucial choice:
- Look for accreditation (i.e., certified professional coach, CPC)
- Interview them (ask what they value — make sure their values align with yours)
- Reach out to recent clients and ask about their experience
- Check to see if the coach/consultant works in your industry or has a background in the areas you are looking to gain insight on