A restaurant shift manager oversees the restaurant while working alongside staff during a specific shift. Shift managers schedule and allocate work to staff members and, if needed, handle additional organizational and administrative activities. Employees frequently collaborate with their shift manager regarding customer interactions, interpersonal concerns, and resolving customer complaints. This role is critical to the restaurant's customer service activities and creating an excellent dining experience. This position requires excellent communication and organizational skills. They typically report to the general manager.
Personality types of a Restaurant Shift Manager
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Restaurant Shift Manager
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Assertive. Comfortable inserting opinion or thoughts.
- Expressive. Conveys thoughts openly.
- Proactive. Driven towards action, not reaction.
- Organized. Structured and methodical.
Motivators for a Restaurant Shift Manager
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Economic: A utilitarian drive for results and maximal returns. To tend to the economic drive, acknowledge them for their individual contributions to top-line results.
- Political: A drive for authority, to take command. To tend to the political drive, provide them the authority to make decisions and sharpen their leadership skills.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, give them a clear set of rules and procedures to follow.
Hiring a Restaurant Shift Manager?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 100+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions