Marriage and family therapists counsel couples, families, and groups dealing with challenges affecting their mental health and well-being. They assist patients in making informed and healthy decisions about their relationships. A marriage and family therapist's responsibilities include observing how people interact within units, evaluating and resolving relationship issues, diagnosing and treating psychological disorders within a family context, and developing plans to help replace dysfunctional behaviors with healthy alternatives. This role requires a strong sense of compassion and a desire to assist others. A bachelor's degree in social work, counseling, or related is required, with a master's degree preferable. You must have current licensure in your state as a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT).
Personality types of a Marriage and Family Therapist
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Marriage and Family Therapist
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Considerate. Emotionally aware of others.
- Reserved. Controlled and professional.
- Sympathetic. Interested and understanding of others.
- Organized. Structured and methodical.
Motivators for a Marriage and Family Therapist
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Altruistic: A caring drive to benefit and support others. To tend to the altruistic drive, give them the opportunity to provide strategies to patients that will improve relationships and family dynamics.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, allow them to create their own work procedures that will give them a harmonious environment.
- Theoretical: A drive to learn and gain new knowledge. To tend to the theoretical drive, provide them with opportunities to seek out new information and learn new things.
Hiring a Marriage and Family Therapist?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 100+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions