A legal accountant maintains a law firm’s financial information. They process accounts payable and receivable, reconcile general ledgers, and prepare all financial statements, including balance sheets, tax returns, income statements, disbursements accounting, and profit and loss statements. A legal accountant is also in charge of processing client billing, closing out each month, tax preparation, and assisting with the year-end audit. They should also know how to process payroll, as well as how to prepare W-2’s and 1099’s. This position is privy to personal, firm, and client financials, so maintaining strict confidentiality is crucial. A legal accountant typically works full-time for a law firm, but can also work for a corporation or non-profit organization.
Personality types of a Legal Accountant
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Legal Accountant
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Methodical. Orderly and systematic.
- Prudent. Judicious and discreet.
- Accommodating. Making room for others.
- Accurate. Insisting on quality and correctness.
Motivators for a Legal Accountant
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, give them plenty of procedures to follow and let them create new accounting protocols for the office as needed.
- Political: A drive for authority, to take command. To tend to the political drive, let them take the lead in budget meetings, yearly audits, and account processing.
- Theoretical: A drive to learn and gain new knowledge. To tend to the theoretical drive, allow them to develop themselves professionally and learn new accounting techniques.
Hiring a Legal Accountant?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 60+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions