A junior underwriter works under the supervision of an underwriter to evaluate an applicant’s creditworthiness and determine if a real estate mortgage loan should be granted. The main function of their position is to provide the necessary administrative support to complete the underwriting process to secure an applicant’s home mortgage and ensure all loan and underwriting conditions are resolved or satisfied. Junior underwriters generally work full time at a credit union, financial institution, or private mortgage loan lender.
Personality types of a Junior Underwriter
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Junior Underwriter
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Task-oriented. Focused on the big objectives, rather than the humanistic side.
- Attentive. Caring for details and demands.
- Dependable. Able to be relied upon.
- Detail oriented. Attentive to all levels of detail.
Motivators for a Junior Underwriter
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Political: A drive for authority, to take command. To tend to the political drive, allow them to lead some team meetings and discuss how their position can grow in the future.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, provide clear guidelines and underwriting procedures for them to follow.
- Theoretical: A drive to learn and gain new knowledge. To tend to the theoretical drive, assign tasks that develop their skills and allow them to learn more about the mortgage industry.
Hiring a Junior Underwriter?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 60+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions