An insurance underwriter works closely with insurance agents to leverage their direct communication with prospective, new, and existing clients. Serving as the link between insurance companies and agents, they must collect accurate customer information to enter into computer software programs that help them accurately evaluate insurance applications for insurance coverage and calculate their respective premiums. Insurance underwriters collaborate with actuaries and maintain records that allow them to properly assess risk factors associated with insurance policy applicants. They must also weigh the balance between risky and cautious decisions when approving insurance applications. They work full time for insurance agencies, insurance companies, and corporate business entities.
Personality types of a Insurance Underwriter
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Insurance Underwriter
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Deliberate. Careful in decisions and actions.
- Prudent. Judicious and discreet.
- Consistent. Reliable and predictable.
- Accurate. Insisting on quality and correctness.
Motivators for a Insurance Underwriter
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Economic: A utilitarian drive for results and maximal returns. To tend to the economic drive, assign tasks that directly relate to achieving the end goal.
- Theoretical: A drive to learn and gain new knowledge. To tend to the theoretical drive, provide them with opportunities to develop their skills and learn more about the insurance industry.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, give ample structure for them to follow, and let them create their own structure when necessary.
Hiring an Insurance Underwriter?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 100+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions