A director of sales oversees all sales activities for a hotel. Their primary role is to obtain new or repeat business and ensure those guests are satisfied. They are responsible for creating a sales strategy working closely with sales managers to reach revenue growth targets in all categories such as transient revenue, group room rents, food and beverage sales, and banquet or conference space rentals. They also interact with guests by preparing informational materials, receiving and responding to correspondence, and attending pre-event meetings. They must have strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to build rapport with both new and existing guests. They work full-time at hotel facilities and report to the general manager.
Personality types of a Director of Sales
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Director of Sales
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Self-reliant. Independent and autonomous.
- Persuasive. Able to convince others.
- Proactive. Driven towards action, not reaction.
- Organized. Structured and methodical.
Motivators for a Director of Sales
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Economic: A utilitarian drive for results and maximal returns. To tend to the economic drive, reward them for increasing profitability and reaching revenue goals and objectives.
- Individualistic: A drive to be independent, unique and free. To tend to the individualistic drive, allow them to use their individual personality and ideas to generate new business
- Political: A drive for authority, to take command. To tend to the political drive, provide them opportunities to lead others and to create procedures for the team.
Hiring a Director of Sales?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 100+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions