Behavioral therapists work with patients who have been diagnosed with mental disorders or with clients who are attempting to overcome personal challenges or change behaviors. Responsibilities include assessing patient condition, fostering positive behavior, minimizing negative habits, monitoring progress, and helping improve patients' lives by creating individualized plans that meet their needs. Counseling knowledge, patience, strong communication and interpersonal skills, and an approachable personality are required for the position. They often work in a clinical setting working one-on-one with patients or in group therapy scenarios, and must possess licensure as a clinical social worker (LCSW) for the state where they reside.
Personality types of a Behavioral Therapist
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Behavioral Therapist
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Considerate. Emotionally aware of others.
- Prudent. Judicious and discreet.
- Structured. Organized and systematic.
- Systematic. Creates/follows structured processes.
Motivators for a Behavioral Therapist
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Altruistic: A caring drive to benefit and support others. To tend to the altruistic drive, allow them to create action plans to help patients change behaviors to improve their well-being.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, provide them with opportunities to create their own schedules and procedures in the workplace.
- Theoretical: A drive to learn and gain new knowledge. To tend to the theoretical drive, give them opportunities to expand their existing knowledge base and learn new things through professional development.
Hiring a Behavioral Therapist?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 100+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions