Restaurant servers are responsible for creating a positive dining experience in a friendly and efficient manner at food establishments. They take guests' orders, serve their food and drinks, and promptly remove used dinnerware from tables. Servers ensure that customers have a pleasant dining experience by meeting and welcoming guests as soon as they are seated, giving menu recommendations, and frequently checking on customers to ensure satisfaction with meals and beverages. This profession requires exceptional customer service abilities, courtesy, and excellent interpersonal skills. Servers must be available to work a flexible schedule that includes all shifts, including weekends and holidays. Servers operate in a team atmosphere with other servers, bartenders, and kitchen personnel and are supervised by the restaurant manager or shift manager.
Personality types of a Restaurant Server
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Restaurant Server
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Deliberate. Careful in decisions and actions.
- Collaborative. Works well with others.
- Sympathetic. Interested and understanding of others.
- Adaptive. Not rigid, able to adjust.
Motivators for a Restaurant Server
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Aesthetic: A drive for harmony, balance, and peace. To tend to the aesthetic drive, give them projects where they can use their keen organizational skills to keep processes moving in an intuitive manner.
- Altruistic: A caring drive to benefit and support others. To tend to the altruistic drive, provide opportunities for them to collaborate with their colleagues.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, set clear guidelines for them to follow.
Hiring a Restaurant Server?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 100+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions