A paralegal manager oversees a team of paralegals that support attorneys at a law firm. They are responsible for the case management and workload of the paralegal team, assigning projects that include the preparation of various legal documents, court proceedings, and billing procedures, tracking continuing education hours, and ensuring the accuracy of the work produced. They may also advise on human resources responsibilities such as the hiring, promotions, terminations, average salaries, and billing rates of the part-time and full-time paralegals they oversee. In addition to their supervisory duties, a paralegal manager handles their own caseload, which includes, legal research, maintaining files, and preparing correspondence and other legal documents for trial. A paralegal manager has at least 5 years of paralegal experience and typically works full-time at law firms, in-house legal departments, or government agencies.
Personality types of a Paralegal Manager
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Paralegal Manager
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Dominant. Having or exerting authority or influence.
- Personable. Easy to get along with.
- Proactive. Driven towards action, not reaction.
- Systematic. Creates/follows structured processes.
Motivators for a Paralegal Manager
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Economic: A utilitarian drive for results and maximal returns. To tend to the economic drive, assign tasks that directly relate to the bottom line.
- Political: A drive for authority, to take command. To tend to the political drive, let them manage lower-level paralegals and distribute tasks to the group.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, provide clear structure for them to follow.
Hiring a Paralegal Manager?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 100+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions