A managing attorney or partner is a senior attorney and one of the primary professionals in charge of running a law firm. They are responsible for the firm’s operations, profitability, and ultimately, help in the success of its legal services. Job duties also include human resources tasks such as hiring and training new attorneys and staff, assisting with reviews and promotions, determining attorney salaries and billing rates, and also handling terminations. Additionally, the managing attorney works to grow the firm through client appreciation events, recruiting events, and educational seminars. Aside from their managerial responsibilities, they also handle their own active legal caseload. A managing attorney typically works full-time for a law firm but can also work for a corporation or non-profit organization.
Personality types of a Managing Attorney
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Managing Attorney
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Bottom-line oriented. Pragmatic, results-oriented.
- Persuasive. Able to convince others.
- Restless. A distaste for being inactive.
- Disciplined. Controlled and orderly.
Motivators for a Managing Attorney
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Economic: A utilitarian drive for results and maximal returns. To tend to the economic drive, assign projects that directly advance the goals of the firm and focus on tasks that impact the bottom line.
- Political: A drive for authority, to take command. To tend to the political drive, let them take the lead on cases and manage lower-level attorneys.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, provide plenty of procedures for them to follow and allow them to create structure when needed.
Hiring a Managing Attorney?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 60+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions