A life insurance agent sells policies that are paid out to beneficiaries upon the insured’s death. They are responsible for marketing and selling to potential clients, generating a list of qualified leads using social media, referrals, and other outreach tactics, determining the best policy fit for new clients, and navigating current policyholders through the claims process. A life insurance agent will schedule meetings to consult with new clients, field inquiries from both prospective and current clients, and ensure all digital and physical paperwork is current, filed, and organized. They may be employed as captive agents, working exclusively for one insurance company, or they may work independently, selling policies for several insurance companies.
Personality types of a Life Insurance Agent
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a Life Insurance Agent
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Cooperative. Willing to collaborate.
- Reserved. Controlled and professional.
- Structured. Organized and systematic.
- Accurate. Insisting on quality and correctness.
Motivators for a Life Insurance Agent
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Individualistic: A drive to be independent, unique and free. To tend to the individualistic drive, let them close sales in their own way and assign projects that require creativity.
- Political: A drive for authority, to take command. To tend to the political drive, allow them to take charge of sales calls and lead team meetings when appropriate.
- Theoretical: A drive to learn and gain new knowledge. To tend to the theoretical drive, give them opportunities to learn more about the insurance industry and further develop their skills.
Hiring a Life Insurance Agent?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 60+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions