General laborers perform manual tasks that are part of the building, installation, and demolition of construction projects. Working conditions and responsibilities vary based on the project. Duties may include preparing construction sites, loading and unloading equipment or materials, and removing debris. They also install fixtures, assemble and disassemble temporary structures at the job site, handle hazardous materials, and assist contractors. They must follow all health and safety regulations to ensure the successful completion of projects. General laborers typically work contract jobs and flexible hours. This is an entry-level position with a variety of working conditions at construction sites.
Personality types of a General Laborer
Each letter of DISC represents polar personality types with correlating behaviors and characteristics. Learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, how they communicate, and more.
Behavioral Qualities for a General Laborer
Behavioral qualities make people naturally act in a certain way. Utilize people’s natural behaviors and strengths at work.
- Decisive. Quickly deciding on a specific action.
- Reserved. Controlled and professional.
- Flexible. Open to different ways of trying things.
- Systematic. Creates/follows structured processes.
Motivators for a General Laborer
Motivators are values that drive people. To retain passionate employees, place people in a role that utilizes their values.
- Altruistic: A caring drive to benefit and support others. To tend to the altruistic drive, help them understand the contribution they bring to the team and how their work drives project completion.
- Regulatory: A drive to maintain order and the status quo. To tend to the regulatory drive, provide a clear set of rules and expectations for them to adhere to.
- Theoretical: A drive to learn and gain new knowledge. To tend to the theoretical drive, give them opportunities to advance in their career and take on challenges of greater complexity.
Hiring a General Laborer?
Start with Wizehire today and post your job to 60+ Job boards now!
- Expert advice on your job ad, screening questions, and compensation plan
- Prime visibility on job boards including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster
- Automated DISC assessment and screening questions