Woodson YMCA, Inc.
We strive to enrich lives through spirit, mind, and body for all of our participants. Day Camp Counselors are responsible for implementing activities and crafts based on theme weeks with the support of the Program Coordinators and leadership staff. Camp Counselors are responsible for the supervision and safety of children, and the implementation of day-to-day activities of Camp Sturtevant. This is accomplished through character development, recreation, crafts, active and non-active games, along with other activities that build strong children physically and mentally.
- Serve as a role model with high integrity and the ability to adapt
- Implement activities with enthusiasm
- Supervise children, group activities, and other aspects of the day
- Use the Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility by leading with example
- Maintain an environment that ensures the safety and well-being of children
- Enforce licensing regulations, Camp Sturtevant/Woodson YMCA policies, and procedure
- Ensure the individual needs of children are met within program guidelines
- Implement developmentally appropriate activities
- Assist staff in clean up and organization of the facility
- Maintain positive relationships with children, staff, parents, and site administration
- Assist with the implementation of weekly theme planning
- Utilize sound judgment and communication skills
- Assist with Sign In and Sign Out as needed
- Adhere to the daily activity schedule
- Smile and have fun!
- Assist with camper swim and waterfront operations
- Assist with transportation of children on 15 passenger vehicles
- Availability required Late May-August, Monday-Friday. (No weekends)
- Attend all camp staff meetings
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Prefer 1 year of experience as a camp counselor or related experience preferred
- Have the ability to work in outdoor conditions and environments for extended periods of time
- Must be able to provide dynamic and creative programming with energy
- Have the ability to maintain confidentiality and carry out job responsibilities
- Valid drivers license preferred
- Be committed to the needs and interests of the campers and the camp
- Good communication skills with campers, parents, and other staff
- Ability to problem solve on own
- Ability to function as part of a team in a mature and responsible manner
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Attend Pre-camp training beginning last week in May
- First Aid and CPR with Lifeguarding preferred but will train
- Display the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility both in and out of camp
$400 - $450 Weekly
About Woodson YMCA, Inc.
The Woodson YMCA is an engine of transformation in our community. Our programs, services and initiatives: enable kids to realize their potential, prepare teens for leadership, offer ways for families to have fun together, empower people to be healthier in spirit, mind and body, welcome and embrace newcomers and help foster a service ethic. We instill our core values of Caring, Honesty, Responsibility and Respect throughout our Y programs.
People come to the Y to learn, have fun and get fit. But they soon discover skills, confidence, a sense of well-being and a connection to the world around them. You can find a gym, swimming pool or a treadmill in lots of places but it is our cause that makes the Y different. After serving our community for 127 years, just think of all those lives we have shaped and the future we have changed for the better. We really do strengthen the foundation of our community.