The Operator/Secretary performs routine clerical tasks helping all secretaries in the department ensure a smooth and efficient department flow. The Operator/Secretary has the primary responsibility of answering all calls from the switchboard and return voicemail messages of the department secretaries. The Operator/Secretary also assists the physician secretaries with making appointments for patients, sending out letters to patients, scheduling referrals, processing of e-faxes for all providers, processing of incoming and outgoing products and maintaining accurate and orderly schedules for providers.
1. Effectively manages phone calls, voicemails, and faxes to ensure proper communication between customers and providers is maintained.
a. Answers phone politely and in a timely manner for all providers
b. Checks/addresses voicemail messages in a timely manner; to include making sure that the voicemails boxes are empty at the end of each day and assist the secretaries with returning calls.
c. Utilizes Instant Messenger or TouchWorks to task clinical staff/providers when additional medical information is required to thoroughly assist in addressing patient questions/concerns
2. Make daily calls to patients
a. Call patients prior to their appointments to confirm per department process
3. Schedules appointments and registers new patients that are referred
a. Schedules return appointments and procedures
b. Registers and schedules new patients that are referred
4. Assist secretaries with incoming and outgoing referrals
a. Refers to other healthcare providers as requested by physician
b. Sends appropriate records/forms/consents to performing entity/provider
5. Assist department with mailing out or faxing correspondence; Copy and fold brochures for patient education
a. Type and mail out letters to patients who no show or need to schedule appointments
b. Fax paperwork to other entities or providers as needed
c. Assist with special department mailings as needed
d. Make copies of patient education material for the exam rooms and fold brochures ensuring that the exam rooms don’t run out of education materials
6. Assist secretary with processing incoming and outgoing products.
a. Open and process incoming supplies per department policy.
b. Assist with filling out forms and packaging of outgoing supplies per department policy.
7. After mastering above tasks: Learn to cover for secretaries when they are on PTO or out of the office.
Additional tasks required for coverage:
a. Schedule and order tests/procedures
b. Obtain precerts and referrals as needed
c. Learn to enter charges into the computer system
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Working knowledge of multi-phone line answering systems preferred
3. Working knowledge of electronic appointment scheduling program
4. One year of experience scheduling medical appointments
5. Basic computer skills; word processing, spreadsheet, email and web browsing
1. Maintains confidentiality
2. Uses above average communication skills
3. Actively looks for ways to help customers
4. Is tactful
5. Projects positive self image to customers
6. Determines work priorities; self starter
7. Demonstrates problem solving ability
8. Well groomed
Accountable to the Department Manager