The sheet metal mechanic installs, maintains, and repairs mechanical systems in commercial, industrial, and public facilities.
Why Work at Gregory Electric?
- Family environment ~ You are NOT a “number” at Gregory Electric, Inc.
- 401k, Paid 100% Individual Health Insurance
- Longevity / Stability
- Career Path Available / Apprenticeship programs / Paid Training
- Local travel allowing quality time for family
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive and are subject to change. The position performs additional duties as requested to meet the priorities and ongoing needs of the organization.
- Accurately install, maintain repair, and service heating ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems to control the air quality and temperature
- Coordinate work assignments, supervise workflow, evaluate performance, and train new staff
- Lead a team of mechanics and HVAC apprentices to complete installation projects
- Install and use rigging and hoisting equipment
- Fit and join sheet metal parts using riveting, welding, soldering and similar equipment to complete project
- Inspect product and installation to ensure conformance to specifications
- Grind and buff seams, joints and rough surfaces
- Support safety initiatives using personal protective equipment
- Participate in random drug and alcohol testing that supports Gregory’s commitment to a drug-free workplace
Qualifications and requirements:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Requires the ability to read and understand blueprints, schematics, technical service manuals, instructions, procedures, labels, and gauges
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, use of the Internet, email, iPad, and industry related programs
- Proficient knowledge of OSHA standards and guidelines
- Ability to actively listen and communicate effectively (written, verbal and nonverbal)
- Requires self-motivation, organization, and prioritization management
- Must be able to follow Gregory Electric’s safety rules and other company policies
- Frequently lift and carry up to 60 pounds
- Able to properly inspect, wear and remove OSHA required personal protective equipment
- Accurately perform basic math calculations to include addition, subtraction, fractions, decimals, multiplication, division, and the use of measurements
- Ascend and descend ladders, scaffolding, and related equipment
- Capable of working at heights and/or confined spaces
- Frequently perform overhead work requiring the full motion use of both hands/arms and securing 30 pounds
- Possess hand dexterity and strength to operate common hand and power tools
- Must be able to stand and walk on pavement for prolonged periods of time
- Frequently required to climb, balance, stoop, crawl, kneel, bend, push or pull
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be fully insured according to South Carolina law
- Maintain a driving record with less than 6 points
- Ability to travel within Gregory Electric’s territory when required
- Proven ability to operate a vehicle safely and within legal and regulatory requirements
- Some exposure to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration
- Regular exposure to outdoor weather conditions (heat, humidity, cold, ice, wind)
- Ability to work outdoors continuously for 8 to 12 hours per day
- Able to work overtime when requested
- Noise level is moderate to loud
- Occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at job sites
About Gregory Electric
Gregory Electric is a trusted partner for the design, installation, and service of energy and infrastructure. We are a diverse organization with expertise in all facets of commercial, industrial low and medium voltage construction, high voltage power, mechanical, HVAC, telecommunications, solar, water utilities, and water features. We bring customers not just capabilities, but 70+ years of profound experience and success. Gregory Electric takes pride in its reputation for safety, reliability, and an exceptional workforce. We are 350 employees strong with offices throughout the Carolinas.