Big Mike's BBQ SmokeHouse
The FOH manager works a range of shifts and is responsible to oversee, direct, and coordinate the planning, organizing, training, and leadership of restaurant staff necessary to achieve stated objectives in sales, costs, employee retention, guest service and satisfaction, food quality, cleanliness, and sanitation.
The front-of-house manager oversees all operations at a restaurant (Primarily in the dining and service areas ). They shape a restaurant-goer’s experience by maintaining the dining room’s appearance, hiring and training quality staff, and ensuring good customer service. Front-of-house managers are “people-people” with strong organization and leadership skills. A talent for conflict resolution is also important for addressing customer complaints and handling staff disputes. This position is full-time and includes working nights, weekend, and holiday shifts.
A restaurant’s front-of-house manager is responsible for overseeing an establishment’s dining room and customer experience. The specific responsibilities vary from restaurant to restaurant depending on size, staff, budget, and the general manager’s preferences, but the following tasks are almost always associated with the job:
Interview and Hire Staff
- Front-of-house managers are responsible for a restaurant’s bar and waitstaff. Hiring the right people for these roles is critical to a restaurant’s success and reputation. Front-of-house managers must occasionally develop a specialized hiring process to meet a restaurant’s needs.
Manage Staff Training
- Even experienced servers, bartenders, hosts, and bussers might need the training to meet the specific needs of a particular restaurant, so front-of-house managers schedule and direct training sessions. Training is even more critical for inexperienced staff, so they also arrange additional training to help set new employees up for success.
Supervise Upkeep of Guest Areas
- The front-of-house manager is also responsible for supervising the cleaning and maintenance of guest areas. Directing staff to attend to messes or accidents and assisting in cleanup are both critical responsibilities in maintaining the customer experience.
- Ensuring each shift is properly staffed is essential to running a successful restaurant. Front-of-house managers use scheduling systems to assign waitstaff based on anticipated demand. They also direct staff to handle unexpected situations and customer concerns throughout a shift as needed.
- Point of sale system experience – front of house managers are responsible for cash transactions, including refunding customers, providing discounts, and comping items, which requires proficiency with the restaurant’s POS system
- Organizational skills – front of house managers often juggle many responsibilities at a time, so top-notch organizational skills and prioritization skills are critical for running successful shifts
- Training – as the front of house manager leads staff onboarding, experience teaching or training new staff is preferable
- Leadership skills – it’s the job of a front-of-house manager to keep staff on task, motivated, and focused. They also resolve staff conflicts and customer’s concerns
- Management – hiring, firing, training, and disciplining staff is the front of house manager’s responsibility, so they must have strong managerial skills
- Customer service – dedication to providing excellent customer service and improving the customer experience are important qualities
$35,000 - $45,000 yearly
About Big Mike's BBQ SmokeHouse
Big Mike’s BBQ Smokehouse success depends on our people. Our restaurant can only prosper and provide opportunities for employment and growth when we continually improve ourselves, and the work we do. We recognize, however, that success is not measured by sales, guest counts, and numbers alone.
We are measured as much by the way in which we achieve our goals, as we are by the actual achievements themselves. We believe that a commitment to uncompromising values and integrity should always guide our decisions and actions as we pursue our goals.