Sable Systems International
Project management of new product development and existing product improvements, integrating in the design the quality standards of the Sable brand.
Manage and direct the work of development and design engineers. This includes:
- Scheduling work, organizing estimates, and setting expectations to ensure project completion on time, within budget and in compliance with product specifications and market expectations.
- Oversees role-appropriate training for Development staff to maintain appropriate skill levels. Set expectation that team members seek out and contribute the latest relevant technologies needed for assigned projects.
- Evaluate human resource needs for department based on company goals and growth strategy. Collaborate closely with Executive team to balance those needs with financial demands and resources. Initiate recruitment process and make hiring decisions.
- Mentoring and development of the Development team members.
- Maintaining a courteous, mutually supportive team culture for accomplishment of mutually agreed productivity and quality goals.
Coordinate design efforts with other relevant departments to ensure the complete success of new product designs or existing products upgrades. This includes:
- Effective communication with Manufacturing team members regarding design for manufacturability. Oversee the generation of detailed manufacturing documentation.
- Effective communication with Technical Support and Market Research team members seeking their input regarding product functionality, ease-of-use and product improvement.
- Effective communication with Research team members to investigate, analyze and verify alternative designs, components or systems. Evaluate design selection based on cost, feasibility, operation and performance.
- Contributing expertise to periodic Quote Reviews held by the Sales team and new product development.
- Cooperating with the Safety committee to implement company Safety Procedures compliant with federal, state and local health and safety regulations.
- Coordinating with Research, Technical Support and QC team members to evaluate what testing criteria are scientifically and practically relevant, given design opportunities and constraints.
- Generating relevant data and/or performance specifications for output to Marketing to substantiate company claims regarding the safety and efficacy of new products
Develop processes that identify, analyze, and resolve any design issues for existing SSI products; implement innovative methods or designs for their improvement. Participate in periodic design review meetings to ensure compliance with established SSI procedures and SSI product requirements.
Research and facilitate the sourcing of outside consultants when necessary to support training or perform required design or development tasks.
Ensure that Development standard processes are relevant and effective, that procedures are current and in compliance with appropriate regulatory bodies (ISO 9000, CE compliance, etc.)
Execute sufficient testing of new design concepts (e.g. proof of concept, mechanical validation testing, testing of software and firmware upgrades, updates and new releases) prior to release to manufacturing.
Acquire expertise in the operation of electronic test instrumentation used in the analysis of product performance and training the Development team in their operation.
Promote productive relationships and evaluate new and existing vendors.
Maintenance of Version management for Hardware, Firmware and Software. (This verges on Product naming conventions and collaboration with the Marketing Product Manager.
- Demonstrated record of strong leadership qualities, team building and motivation skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with others. Demonstrated effort toward candid communications and the support of productive debate to establish the trust, commitment and cooperation of direct reports as well as all SSI employees.
- Management of multiple projects and organizational skills to deal with a diverse range of product development and product improvement challenges.
- An emphasis on Development team achievement of results with both personal energy and enthusiasm to ensure that SSI strategic objectives are met.
- Demonstrated understanding of the scientific method.
- Flexible and creative problem-solving ability.
- MS Degree in an engineering field preferred.
- Five years’ experience leading multiple Projects; PMP or equivalent training.
- Familiarity of the practical application of electrical and mechanical engineering as it relates to the design and manufacture of various SSI instruments and systems.
- Mechatronics background a plus.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, material costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture of developed product designs.
- Knowledge of Quality Management systems and incorporating quality assurance processes into product and systems design and cross company communications.
- Medical Device Manufacturing experience desired as well as FDA approval requirements.
- Communication skills in English, both oral and written, required to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals and professional groups.
- High personal computer skills including, but not limited to, MS Word and Excel as well as other software utilized in the development process.
$120,000 Experience Negotiable
About Sable Systems International
About Sable Systems:
History and Market: 2017 marks Sable Systems 30-year anniversary as a manufacturer of scientific equipment sold to life science researchers worldwide. Our President, founder and Chief Scientist is known as the authoritative expert in the accurate, high resolution measurement of animal metabolism from fruit flies to human and is author of the only textbook on the topic (Oxford University Press). As of 2017, Sable has moved to lead US sales in our biomedical market. Sable exports to over 30 countries.
What we make and How it works: Sable Systems designs, develops and manufactures high-resolution gas analyzers and peripheral instrumentation. Our integrated platforms include instrumentation, software, service and data analysis that address and enable a multitude of challenges faced by researchers in animal science.