Temporary full time between August - October
Perform a variety of the technical procedures involved in the procurement and processing of patient specimens for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
1. Prepare patients
a. Greet and arrive the patient
b. Follow patient verification protocol
c. Provide high level of customer service using AIDET
d. Explain treatment procedures
2. Prepare laboratory specimens
a. Perform phlebotomy as required by specimen collection policies.
b. Receive and process specimens as required by respective laboratory area procedures and protocols.
c. Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff
d. Perform messenger/courier activities as required
3. Perform various quality control, safety, and infection control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
a. Sterilize equipment
b. Disinfect equipment
c. Clean room
d. Dispose of bio-hazardous waste and sharps
e. Perform routine maintenance as required by laboratory procedures
4. Perform administrative duties as directed
a. Document patient communications accurately and appropriately
b. Answer telephones
c. Order supplies and perform inventory of supplies and equipment
d. Other duties as assigned
Refer to the department policy and procedure manual for procedure specific personal protective equipment requirements.
1. High School diploma or GED
2. Completion of a structured phlebotomy training course and clinical rotation
3. Certification as a Phlebotomist by a nationally recognized agency/board
4. Basic phlebotomy and specimen processing techniques
5. Knowledge of medical terms preferred
6. Basic computer skills
1. Maintains confidentiality
2. Above average communication skills
3. Service orientation: actively looks for ways to help people
5. Projects positive self image to patients
6. Determines work priorities
Accountable to the Laboratory Manager