The Legacy Elder Law Center
The Position: The Litigation Paralegal works under the supervision of the Senior Litigation Paralegal to assist the firm’s attorneys by handling matters ranging from factual research, cite-checking, acquiring and assembling records, drafting and coordinating document production. The position requires substantial client contact in the form of meetings, telephone and Zoom calls, and emails. The position is full-time and involves the utilization and supervision of a litigation legal assistant. Job growth is always encouraged, so the Litigation Paralegal is encouraged to work toward advancement to the position of Senior Litigation Paralegal.
We are seeking a paralegal who has extraordinary compassion and outstanding organizational and communication skills. This position requires all substantive functions in the litigation practice area that do not require a law degree, including but not limited to organizing and maintaining files (both electronic and paper), and fully utilizing the firm's case and client relationship management system. The individual must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel and also be able to multitask effectively and thrive in a busy, team-oriented environment.
If these words describe you, you may be the person we are looking for:
- Process Oriented/Methodical
- Completes/Prioritizes Tasks
- Team Player
- Good Listener
- Detail Oriented/Analytical/Precise/Accurate
- Thorough in Research
We offer competitive compensation based on experience, a 401(k) plan, excellent health insurance, participation in a bonus pool, and a family-friendly environment. Interested applicants should submit their resume along with a cover letter, references and salary requirements.
- Managing, organizing, and maintaining documents in a paper or electronic filing system.
- Managing email correspondence for attorneys and the Senior Litigation Paralegal.
- Meeting with clients, attorneys and other professionals to talk about case details.
- Drafting simple correspondence, pleadings, briefs, and discovery documents.
- Aiding litigation attorneys with all aspects of discovery.
- Answering phones professionally and responsibly and direct callers to appropriate personnel, making appointments for attorneys and paralegals.
- Reviewing of draft documents of many types to ensure that the dates are correct and that there are no pagination errors as well as to double-check spelling of names and addresses.
- Opening client paper and electronic files using DropBox and Actionstep.
- Communicating with courts as needed for various filing issues.
- Sending clients bill pay and retainer fee replenishment reminders.
- Processing signed documents, overseeing conversion to electronic format, and coordinating their appropriate delivery.
- Collaborating daily with attorneys and coworkers to meet deadlines.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Two to four years’ experience in a litigation department.
- Some post high school study such as associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically Outlook, Word and Excel, as well as Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience with LexisNexis a plus.
- Must be able to effectively multi-task, manage time-sensitive tasks.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to act in a busy team-oriented environment.
- Friendly, courteous, and professional demeanor.
- A positive attitude and ability to communicate clearly and compassionately with clients and team members.
- Enjoyment of a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
$45,000 - $65,000 per year depending on experience
About The Legacy Elder Law Center
At the Legacy Elder Law Center, we focus on elder law, estate planning, special needs law, and resolution of disputes involving estate/trust matters, fiduciary duties, and guardianships/conservatorships, as well as other closely related practice areas. We are a steadily growing, nationally recognized, yet small and collegial Northern Virginia law firm located in downtown Leesburg, Virginia. We take a highly personal and customized approach to the practice of law.