Tibbott & Richardson
Role and Responsibilities
Under general direction, the Paralegal provides legal support service to attorneys in the form of:
- Onboards new clients in accordance with the Firm’s Onboarding Policy and Procedures.
- Interviews clients and witnesses to obtain the necessary facts and information.
- Researches facts.
- Explains applicable firm and external policies and procedures to clients.
- Acts as a liaison between the client and other parties, witnesses, and other persons relative to the legal matter.
- Manages the attorneys’ calendars.
- Manages filing and other deadlines.
- Attends and assists at trials, depositions, hearings, and other meetings.
- Drafts legal and business communications.
- Drafts legal documents (i.e., pleading templates) and correspondence.
- Performs limited legal research and information gathering under the direction of an attorney. Including county-specific local rules, judge-specific policies and procedures, county-specific filing procedures and fees, and similar information.
- Prepares summaries of research results with conclusions.
- Assists in a trial, hearing, deposition, and other preparation.
- Tracks all administrative, billable and non-billable time in the Firm’s practice management software.
- Performs quality control checks on all client files to ensure that the files are kept in accordance with the Firm’s File Keeping Policy and Procedure.
Independence and Decision Making
- Paralegals are guided by the owners, associate attorneys, the Policies and Procedures of the Firm as well as other professional norms. Paralegals are encouraged and empowered to seek out answers to issues, and the development of new ideas, policies, and procedures.
- Among other things, Paralegals are evaluated on the accuracy and quality of their work, as well as productivity, attitude, communication, and problem-solving skills.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 2-4 years of experience in a paralegal role is preferred.
Any combination of the below education along with notary certification.
- Paralegal certificate
- Associates degree.
- Bachelors degree.
- Prior law firm experience preferably in the Criminal and or Family Law practice areas.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of products: Including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency using the Microsoft 365 suite of products including Outlook, Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint.
- Experience with law firms practice management software such as Clio, My Case, Practice Panther, and ProLaw.
- Experience tracking billable/non-billable hours and writing descriptions of the work performed.
- Experience using CRM software such as Clio Grow, Lawmatics, My Case.
- Experience creating and formatting legal pleading templates, correspondence, PowerPoint slides, Excel spreadsheets, Word document templates, mail merge, printed envelopes, email templates, flyers, brochures, and other electronic media for electronic and or hard copy distribution.
- Experience using electronic postage software such as Stamps.com, USPS online, UPS online, FedEx online, and Case Mail.
- Experience using a postage meter to weigh envelopes and packages.
- Experience using Mac computers and software.
- Experience using a large multifunction office copier system.
- Experience scanning and renaming documents.
- Experience using the drag and drop function for electronic files as well as the save as function.
- Experience converting Word documents to PDF format.
- Experience attaching documents to email.
- Experience creating tabbed binders.
- Experience using a desk phone to place telephone calls.
- Experience calling clients, court offices, other law firms, clients, attorneys, judges’ chambers, witnesses, expert witnesses on the telephone and communicating with persons in order to carry out and successfully complete your assigned objective.
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
$14 - $20 hourly
About Tibbott & Richardson
Integrity, effectiveness, kindness, and communication are the values at the core of our company.