The Maine Divorce Group
We are looking for a hardworking, detail-oriented family law Paralegal to spearhead the creation of our family law practice.
Initially, you will be the point person for assisting with the creation of the back end of our family law division, which includes building out all the forms, checklists, intake procedures, internal and external policies and procedures, workflows, etc. After a period of time, you will become one of the first points of contact for our clients and potential clients with the firm, as well as opposing parties, opposing counsel, and courthouse staff. You will answer interrogatories, file motions, and be our primary point of contact for the court system. You will have direct interaction with our clients and you will assist them with preparing budgets, discovery responses, affidavits, and more, all while navigating the myriad emotions inherent in family law. You will be in charge of taming the telephone, email, and calendar for at least one lawyer. You will conduct initial intakes with prospective clients and schedule new consults after discerning that they fit our A or B client criteria.
- Take care of administrative tasks such as answering phones and maintaining an organized filing system for all legal documents
- Prepare legal documents, correspondence, and pleadings such as complaints, interrogatories, subpoenas, deposition notices, pretrial orders, legal briefs, and affidavits, under the supervision of a lawyer
- Help lawyers prepare for trial by preparing and organizing exhibits, assisting with client meetings, filing motions, conducting research on legal articles, and organizing and coordinating witnesses
- Draft subpoenas and coordinate with process servers
- Hold client interviews to gather information about their legal problems
- Completion of a nationally-accredited paralegal program strongly preferred
- Talented communicator and writer
- Candidates should possess high-level organizational skills, and time-management skills
- ABA-approved paralegal certificate program such as an Associate’s degree or proprietary school program in paralegal studies, Bachelor’s degree desired
- Minimum experience of 7+ years as a paralegal in a family law firm or practice, working under experienced family law practitioners
- Thorough understanding of the Cumberland County and York County family law court systems, including individual judges' and magistrates' preferences and proclivities
- Strong research skills
- Proficient with Mac Operating Systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Extensive experience building systems, policies, and procedures
$52,000 - $65,000 yearly
About The Maine Divorce Group
We are a small boutique law firm that has been in business since 2010, providing high level criminal defense services, with a sterling reputation for excellence in the legal community. We are branching out into Divorce and Family Law.