Neighborhood Nerds, Inc.
Think a mix between Apple Store Genius, Starbucks Barista, and Bartender. We're a little of this and a little of that... that's why our mascot, Gizmo, is a platypus. You MUST be a little Nerdy and really like finding answers, solving problems, and making people happy! Qualifications: Passionate about technology (computers, video games, audio/video, VR, AR, RC, Home Automation, Networking, etc.)! You must be VERY patient, loving, kind, and driven to provide solutions for our members. You must work well in a team... must collaborate and acknowledge when you don't know the answer AND ask for help! PLEASE research our company before you meet with us... we love prepared peeps!
Our Nerds are Renaissance People. Which is another reason Gizmo, our mascot, is a Platypus...he's very good at lots of things and isn't like any other animal in the wild. He's a little of this and a little of that. We expect all of our Nerds to be multi-faceted.
- Documentation is a huge part of EVERY Nerd's job. Nerds are expected to create/update Member Profiles, Member Manuals, Shop Manuals, and more.
- Meet with Members to help them with their requests. We meet Members in our store, at their office or home, or where they indicate (maybe to help them shop). We also talk to Members on the phone and assist them via Remote Sessions.
- Assist Members in learning to use a variety of technology, including but not limited to Modems, Routers, Firewalls, DHCP, WiFi, and cabling systems.
- Diagnose and provide solutions using experience, skills, resources, and collaboration with other Nerds.
- Complete work assignments in a timely manner.
- Record relevant information on Member interactions and support, using a variety of tools including but not limited to MHelpDesk, Slack, Google Drive, Trello.
- Recommend best solutions for Members by understanding their needs, desires, competency levels, and financial constraints.
- Present technology, concepts, etc. to Members and Nerds.
- Every week, each Nerd visits with 15 Members, calls 25 Members, closes 25 tickets, creates one quick tip, creates one blog article, creates/updates 5 Member Profiles, creates/updates 5 Member Manuals, creates/updates 5 Shop Manual Entries.
- Other duties as assigned.
- An aptitude for acquiring skills in technology and an eagerness to learn.
- Excellent time management skills and can make decisions quickly.
- The main focus of a Nerd's job is Member Service... we live to serve our Members! Any experience you may have in the Customer Service industry is a BIG benefit!
- Any experience with Technical Writing is very valuable.
- Of course, any experience with diagnosing, troubleshooting, fixing problems is crucial.
- Word Processing (we document everything)
- Problem Solving (quickly troubleshoot and fix issues)
- Research (find answers in our Knowledge Base, our Ticketing System, another Nerd, Online, Etc.)
- Educating (teaching Members and other Nerds)
- Marketing/Selling (all Nerds are expected to know and communicate effectively the benefits of NN Membership).
- Experience with the following is a benefit - Slack, Trello, Google Drive, Google Docs, Gmail, MS Office.
- Actively enrolled High School/College Student or recently graduated. We've had the best luck with Computer Science and Engineering Majors but are open to others.
- Grammar and spelling are very important since most of our Members are not just educated but HIGHLY educated!
- We do need our Nerds to speak and write well.
$9.00 - $15.00/hour
About Neighborhood Nerds, Inc.
Neighborhood Nerds is more Life Support than Technical Support. Our members pay a monthly fee to have access to a team of Nerds who provide a Concierge-type service. Our membership model allows our Nerds to know our Members and their technology. This knowledge gives our Nerds the best possible opportunity for success each and every time. Successfully providing solutions to our Members is the primary goal of Neighborhood Nerds.
Our Nerds strive to increase proactive engagements with our members while reducing reactive requests. Every Nerd is responsible for maintaining the knowledge base for all members. Each Nerd is constantly updating Member Profiles, Member Manuals, Notes, etc. so we always have a complete understanding of who the member is and how we can best serve them. Nerds are also required to engage all members EVERY month via phone, email, note, visit, etc.