We are looking for a detail-oriented mortgage underwriter to grow with our team! You’ll be responsible for analyzing and verifying real estate loan applications while evaluating risks and making loan decisions. The ideal applicant has a thorough understanding of the latest industry trends and is able to organize and prioritize their tasks efficiently and effectively. Job seekers who feel they’re a great fit for the role are highly encouraged to apply.
- Underwrite Conventional, FHA, USDA, and VA loans following established Company, agency, and investor guidelines
- Review all loan applications and supporting documents in order to ensure all necessary information is included
- Request additional information as needed on all documents to help determine loan risk
- Analyze all documents in detail so eligibility decisions are accurate
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of industry standards and company policies so compliance standards are met
- Communicate and document reasons for approval or rejection of loans so clients and loan officers are well informed
- Research applicant’s employment and financial history to help determine the accuracy of application and documents
- Assist in training other staff members to ensure company standards are being met
- Complete thorough analysis of mortgage loan files to determine compliance with agency Company, and investor guidelines to ensure the salability of closed loans
- Review resubmitted files and documents
- Make and issue independent compliant loan decisions
- Maintain Company service level and turn-time standards
- Respond to audits and post-closing issues in a timely manner
- Strong decision-making and communication skills
- Understanding of home loans and residential mortgages such as FHA, VA, conventional, and USDA, and loan products
- 3+ years’ experience underwriting Conventional, USDA, FHA, and VA loans required
- DE (Direct Endorsement) designation required
- VA SAR/LAPP (Staff Appraiser Reviewer / Lender Appraiser Processing Program) designations preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, or a related field required
- Strong analytical decision-making and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent mortgage loan processing system computer skills
- Encompass experience preferred
- Demonstrated success in a fast-paced, high-stakes environment
- Aptitude for maintaining professional relationships with coworkers
- Highly motivated, ambitious, and driven to succeed
- Trustworthy, honest, and display a high level of integrity
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Able to understand and respond appropriately to basic inquires
- Able to read, write, and communicate using the English language sufficient to perform job functions
- Ability to use Company equipment in assigned area (including but not limited to telephone, copiers, fax machines, computers, internet, etc.)
- Able to access, input, retrieve, and interpret information using applicable computer systems (including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, industry-specific computer software, etc.)
- Able to multi-task (e.g., simultaneous usage of several applications, etc.)
- Well-versed with keyboard shortcuts and able to identify new ways to complete a task in less time
- Compliance with all Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML) laws, and Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) requirements is required. Employees must complete annual training in these areas
About ALCOVA Mortgage
Most companies start with a business plan. ALCOVA Mortgage started with a friendship. Bound by common background and inspired by a passion to serve, childhood friends Bobby Nicely, Billy Siple and Rob Lindstrom dreamed of one day starting a business.
In 2003, the trio joined together to establish a mortgage company—ALCOVA—an acronym for Alleghany County, VA, in honor of their roots.
In 2012, ALCOVA Mortgage made its debut on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in the United States and has been recognized every year since. The company’s phenomenal growth of 96% in three years propelled it into the league of such legendary businesses that gained notoriety on the prestigious list as Dell, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Pandora, Timberland, Zillow, Yelp, and Domino’s Pizza.
Today, ALCOVA continues to thrive, largely because of its roots in a friendship and the passion to serve.