Sauber Legal Services LLC
Are you a motivated paralegal that is interested in working in a challenging area of practice? Do you want a fast-paced work environment? Our firm may be a great fit!
- ABOVE ALL ELSE the candidate must be honest and have integrity with the highest ethical standards.
- "Get up and go." Motivated, requires little supervision or direction.
- Must be computer/tech-savvy.
- Radical candor is encouraged and practiced.
- Emotionally intelligent and compassionate individuals with strong customer service skills are encouraged to apply.
- Yearning to learn.
- Administrative tasks.
- Currently an in-person position, with the possibility of flexible remote work in the future. We have a four-day work week - Monday through Thursday.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and knowledge in a law firm or clinic working with confidential information in a direct-service position.
- At-will employment.
- Candidate must be willing to submit to a background check.
- No medical/dental insurance (yet...).
- 401(k) with employer matching.
- Student loan CARES Act repayment.
- Other perks!!
You will be joining a small team that works hard and plays hard. We're fun-loving and innovative - this firm is not like other law firms, and we practice in a niche area of law where no two days are the same at the firm. You can expect to learn something new every day. A successful candidate is a self-starter / do-er who is flexible, adaptable, and welcomes feedback. Continuous process improvement is a core value. Strong work ethic, integrity, honesty, and professionalism are essential. ABOVE ALL ELSE the candidate must be honest with the highest ethical standards.
If you’re looking to fill an invaluable position at a firm and love helping others, apply today. Interested candidates can send a resume and references to Jill Sauber at email@example.com with the subject line “LAA Position” – be sure to include your favorite emoji so I know you read this!
- Manage office correspondence and administrative tasks such as answering phone calls, communicating with opposing attorney offices, taking dictation, responding to emails, and reminding the team of upcoming deadlines
- Make travel arrangements, schedule meetings and appointments for the team, such as depositions, and coordinate with outside vendors for events
- Process client billing properly using daily time records with help from the accounting department
- Conduct legal research, when necessary, with guidance from attorneys and paralegals
- Help with creating a variety of litigation documents, including pleadings, motions, subpoenas, affidavits, contracts, and briefs for case preparation, and proofread documents when necessary
Hospitality / Reception
You will be expected to do some of the normal reception or hospitality tasks such as greeting clients, seating them, offering refreshments, cleaning the conference room between meetings, ordering lunch for our staff lunches, emptying the dishwasher, refilling paper trays, stocking the fridge, keeping track of items for ordering, replacing toner in the printers, etc. The client experience comes first, so we all (attorneys and staff alike) do our part to ensure the clients are comfortable, informed, and happy.
Intake / Phones
- Our firm uses Clio Grow and Manage as our intake software and client management (billing) software. Timekeeping is expected of all staff as a means of tracking time (billable, admin, or unbillable – it is all input).
- Answer and respond to potential client calls or emails. Take detailed messages.
- Send and review intake forms/questionnaires, collect additional docs, facts, background, or applicable law about prospective clients.
- Cross-check and validate unverified information.
- Organize new files in Dropbox and Clio Grow.
- Send scheduling links or coordinate meetings.
- Input prospective client, client, an adverse party, and professional contacts (including organizations and firms) into Clio and add as relationships in related matters.
- The candidate must be tech-savvy and be able to navigate cloud-based programs with ease.
- Scheduling includes prospective client initial meetings, signing meetings (ensuring two witnesses) for existing clients, sending details to confirm both remote or in-person meetings (email Zoom details or confirm in person with directions to the firm), and helping attorney with scheduling marketing/professional meetings, lunches or social meetings, as needed.
Client File Opening / Closing
- “Open” files in Clio and Dropbox – move from our intake software into management software, create folders, rename files as needed, move billing entries to active matter, etc. We integrate cloud-based file storage with Clio and the person in this position must be comfortable navigating between these programs.
- Create a physical red rope for any physical documents and docket files.
- When a client matter is complete/closed, remove original documents, prepare a receipt for clients, organize and scan/close/destroy the physical red rope, and batch scan for a redundant and complete copy of the file. Save the same in Dropbox and Clio. Tickle a future follow-up date.
File Organization / Management
- Everything in or out gets scanned and saved! Help ensure proper electronic file management with proper naming conventions.
- Proof and edit documents and correspondence for accuracy.
- Assist paralegal or attorney when updating a pleading or docket index for matters with court cases – to match the Court’s docket.
- Ensure court dates are calendared and tickled (reminders) on the appropriate firm/attorney calendars.
- Our office is (as much as possible) paperless, so this candidate must be comfortable with electronic file management, confidentiality, and security (conscious of working with sensitive or privileged client information).
- Database hygiene, managing duplicates or removing bad records, etc.
- Send documents for electronic signature through Adobe Sign, remind clients about signing, and save signed documents. Familiarity with Adobe Acrobat Pro and redaction, flattening PDFs for future filing or redaction, and adding, inserting, replacing, or revising PDF files.
- The candidate should be able to navigate Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat Pro, LastPass, Dropbox, and other programs with ease. Someone familiar with Tyler Host Odyssey e-filing, Simplifile recording (real estate), and Clio Grow and Manage programs is a shoe-in.
- Comfortable working with all Microsoft Office products
- Must be able to prioritize tasks with demanding deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment
- Applicants must have excellent communication skills and organizational skills
- Candidates should be able to type at least 50 words per minute
- At least 1-2 years of previous experience in a law firm setting performing administrative tasks
- Candidates must have worked with legal software, case management, and docketing programs
- You will support the attorney and be the face of the firm! Must be comfortable with client interaction, triaging tough calls from emotional clients, taking detailed messages for the attorney, and be reliable.
- You must be available to work on-site because you will act as a signing witness for Wills and other documents as needed. THIS IS NOT A FULLY REMOTE POSITION - if you live outside of a 50-mile radius from the firm, and do not indicate on your application or cover letter that you are willing to relocate, your application will be disqualified.
- You will be expected to do some of the normal (shared) hospitality tasks such as greeting clients, seating them, offering refreshments, cleaning the conference room between meetings, ordering lunch for our staff lunches, emptying the dishwasher, refilling paper trays, replacing toner in the printers, etc. All of the normal "day-to-day" office tasks that we all share while in the office.
About Sauber Legal Services LLC
Our firm practices primarily in elder law, estate/tax planning, probate, guardianship & conservatorship, and litigation/mediation in those areas. Elder law is a challenging area of law and brings with it a great opportunity for growth, learning, and cross-profession collaboration. The nature of our practice is high-touch, high-emotion, and fast-paced. That translates to lots of emergency matters and contested cases, so we switch gears regularly throughout the day to address timely matters. Someone with a background in nursing (triage of emergencies), social work (managing clients in stressful situations), or HR would be an awesome fit for this practice area. If you enjoyed that type of environment, and want direct client contact, you will thrive in this practice area. There is never a dull moment!