Seeking law student (JD / MBA preferred) looking to gain valuable experience to add to their resume and open the door to future legal opportunities as a Law Clerk participating in CORPlaw’s Spring 2022 (starting in January) Legal Clerkship Program.
If you are a team player willing to roll up your sleeves and get the job done, no matter the task, we’ll invest in you—helping you learn, grow, and gain experience at a cutting-edge law firm to boost your resume, professional network, and marketable skills.
If a future in business law, IP law, or general counsel, is genuinely interesting to you, this program offers an incredible opportunity for career development you will not get anywhere else.
Some exclusive perks are the intensive training program and workshop, CORPlaw U, a series of special projects to give you more than just experience in a role in the legal career, a unique high-profile work environment at our Brickel offices, and a great culture that embraces disruption and spearheads innovation in the field. Check out this Blog Article for more details: https://www.corplaw.us/post/corplaw-launches-unique-semester-long-legal-clerkship-program-and-corplaw-u
If you read these statements and think, “Hey, that’s me!” then you may be the one we want:
- You do not think menial tasks are “beneath you”
- You would describe yourself as “Reliable” and “Trustworthy”
- You are an excellent multi-tasker and can change gears quickly
- You are receptive to feedback and use it to fuel your learning drive
- You are very good with processes and following detailed instructions
- You are a fantastic writer with a sickening degree of attention to detail
- You see an opportunity for a structure where other people see disorganization
- You are a self-learner who will take advantage of all resources provided to you
- You are capable of taking the lead, chasing down your supervisors (who are busy and not always in the office) to ask the questions you need to be answered and take ownership of getting the job done
- Must be extremely tech-savvy with the ability to navigate and learn multiple software quickly and without much support.
- Eager to draft legal documents, such as motions, briefs, contracts, etc. and receive hard-hitting and critical feedback designed to help you improve
- Research and analyze issues as necessary to support attorneys, clients, etc.
- Interview witnesses, perform simple intake, consult with legal experts, and communicate with various stakeholders
- Organize and maintain files to ensure information is up to date, deadlines are met, and can make sure files are managed in an orderly fashion
- Take part in projects involving various aspects of expanding and maintaining a high-growth law firm (e.g., help with developing and improving SOPs, create useful workflows that allow for automation of client communication and efficiency in drafting, etc.)
- Work on special assignments potentially involving marketing, business development, legal blogging, or networking
- Mandatory requirement to produce one blog post per week
The following will be required to satisfy the responsibilities of the position:
- Strong Bluebook citation skills
- Strong organizational skills and research abilities
- Strong legal writing, analysis, and research ability
- English fluency (Spanish fluency a plus, but not required)
- Clear and professional communication via phone and email
- Willing to exchange time for mentorship and hands-on training
- Great time management, prioritization, and multitasking abilities
- Demonstrate deep interest in working in a small law firm/business
- Eager to learn about the practice of law, leadership, and business
- Understanding and takes responsibility for maintaining daily billing entries
- Comfortable using technology and master new software with little supervision
- MUST have a computer that runs well and handles all software used by the team
- Detail-oriented, prompt, professional, and available to complete projects timely
- Solution-oriented mindset, carrying the ball across the finish line without assistance
- Experience using legal research software, including Westlaw, Fastcase, and LexisNexis
- Candidate MUST demonstrate professional demeanor with a passion for business, leadership, and law
- Experience working in a solo/small law firm, small business, or other settings, finance or business degree
The following will be preferred and will enhance your experience in the program:
- Interest in working beyond the term
- Substantial business experience or joint JD/MBA
- Proficiency with internal database systems and cloud-based storage such as Box.com
- Proficiency with Missive, iCal, MailChimp, ClioManage, Zoom, Adobe, Calendly, and Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook Calendar, PowerPoint)
- Be available for mandatory training pre-internship (trainings are in-person full days and provide a fun, invaluable opportunity for clerks to learn)
- Commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week for at least 2-days in our Brickell Office
- Mandatory participation, remote is fine but in-person is preferred, in weekly team meetings (Wednesdays from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm)
- Be able to work in person at our Miami Brickell office from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm from January through May 2022
- Preference is given to candidates with 3+ day availability
Application and interview process.
- Upon initial application submission, the candidate will receive an email with a link to an assessment to complete.
- The positive survey may lead to a follow-up screening interview.
- If a candidate successfully secures the position, they will be expected to engage with follow-up correspondence to ensure a smooth onboarding process.
- In anticipation of the beginning date, candidates must ensure to block off three to four days from their schedule to attend training that is fundamental to their development in this position.
At a time when most law firms are unwilling to invest in junior talent, we are giving students and recent graduates the opportunity to EARN a place on our team, plus free access and training from legal Super Stars.
- Access to our connections and our team. You will be treated and embraced as a member of our team. You will have access to work with elite former BigLaw attorneys at CORPlaw, to attend exclusive networking events (Physical and virtually), and ultimately rare opportunities that will help you build your dream career.
- Experience. You will have the chance to work closely with well-rounded attorneys who provide priceless mentorship and educational opportunities to benefit individuals in their future professional careers. After one semester of extensive training and experience with our well-respected law firm, you can confidently scratch "gain some actual experience" from your ToDo list.
- Training. Interactive CORPLaw U workshops lead by seasoned professionals to hone various real-world legal and business skills and give singular insight into what makes CORPLaw successful, including learning important skills like how to bill your time, the economics of a law firm, the parts of a law firm, detailed training to improve your practical writing ability and hands-on training on client communication.
- Opportunity. We are a growing team, constantly on the lookout for top talent. Our Legal Clerkship Program is a feeder pool that provides you an opportunity to earn a paid position on our team. We prioritize the selection of talent from our top-performing Clerks and have offered our Clerks paid positions in the past (sometimes before they even finish the first semester). Those clerks who exceed our performance expectations will be considered for paid positions moving forward. We want people who are willing to roll up their sleeves and earn a place on our team. If you show yourself as a Super Star, we will work to find a paid place for you on our rapidly growing team.
- Flex. You will be able to flex on your peers and family with the fact that you are gaining incomparable experience at a cutting-edge modern-day Law firm that is constantly disrupting the traditional ideals of the legal field and has tunnel vision on molding the future of the legal practice.
Our company at CORPlaw represents really cool companies (think crypto millionaires, high-growth tech start-ups, esports, influencers, etc.) as their full-service, litigation, and transactional, outside General Counsel. This isn't "door law". We don't touch family law, PI, criminal, etc., but we do offer a wide range of services to holistically advise clients as their fractional GCs (think employment, IP, contracts, raising capital, management of business disputes, and all areas where business and law collide).
Our tech-forward firm has a physical office space in WeWork Brickell City Center and operates a hybrid in-person and remote team environment. Some of our staff are fully remote and some take advantage of or otherwise simply prefer working from an in-person space. We accommodate both options much to the appreciation of our modern team and clients. We embraced remote before a pandemic required it.