Fall 2021 Law Clerk (JD/MBA Preferred) – CORPlaw’s fall Legal Clerkship Program
Eager to work with cutting-edge business owners and innovative lawyers?
An innovative modern law firm invites an undergraduate with a genuine interest in business law to apply to join our Fall legal program as a law clerk. If you are a team player willing to roll up your sleeves and get the job done, no matter the task, we’ll invest in you—helping you learn, grow, and gain experience at a law firm to help boost your resume.
This program offers an incredible opportunity for career development you cannot get anywhere else. It includes an intensive training program and workshop, CORPlaw U, and offers a series of special projects that give you more than just experience in a role in the legal career. Check out this Blog Article for more details.
If these statements appeal to you, then you may be the Law Clerk we need:
- You are attracted to opportunities that spark personal and professional growth
- You are a fantastic writer with a sickening degree of attention to detail
- You are an individual who is receptive to feedback and use that feedback to fuel your learning drive
- You are very good with processes and following detailed instructions;
- You see an opportunity for a structure where other people see disorganization
- Your middle name is “No Drama”
- You are capable of taking the lead, chasing down your supervisors (who are busy and not always in the office) to ask the questions you need to be answered and take ownership of getting the job done
- People who know you would describe you a “Reliable” and “Trustworthy”
- You are an excellent multi-tasker and can change gears quickly and,
- You do not think menial tasks are “beneath you.”
- Draft legal documents, such as motions, briefs, contracts, etc.
- Interview witnesses, consult legal experts and communicate with clients in preparation for trial
- Create legal memoranda outlining results of research to help plan the best strategy for success for court proceedings
- Aid in projects involving various aspects of expanding and maintaining a law firm
- Work on special assignments potentially involving marketing, business development, blogging, or networking
- Create useful workflows that allow for automation of client communication and efficiency in drafting
- Research and analyze issues as necessary to support attorneys, clients, etc.
- Organize and maintain files to ensure information is up to date and deadlines are correctly docketed
- Eager to learn about the practice of law, interested in business law, willing to exchange time for mentorship and real training
- Experience working in a solo/small law firm, small business, or other settings, finance or business degree
- Comfortable navigating digital technology and new software with little supervision (candidate MUST have a computer that runs well and is able to integrate with all software used by the CORPlaw team)
- Strong legal writing, analysis, and research ability
- Strong Bluebook citation skills
- Detail-oriented, prompt, professional, and available to timely complete projects
- Experience using legal research software, including Westlaw, Fastcase, and LexisNexis
- Understanding and takes responsibility for maintaining daily billing entries
- Clear and professional communication via phone and email
- Experience utilizing internal database systems and cloud-based software, for instance, shared drives such as Box.com
- Experience with Outlook Calendar, iCal, MailChimp, ClioGrow, ClioManage, Zoom Conference, Adobe, Calendly, Otter.ai, Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) preferred
- English fluency (Spanish fluency a plus, but not required)
Preference is given to law students available to work from the Miami office, with substantial business experience or joint JD/MBA, and interest in working beyond the term.
The candidate must
- Be able to work at least 20 hours a week (at least 2-days in-person at the office from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm from August 11th through January 7th.
- Be available for a 3-day mandatory training before the internship begins from August 11th through 13th
- Spend at least 2 days in-person required for consideration, preference is given to a student with 3+ day availability
- You will have access to unique, interactive CORPLaw U workshops lead by seasoned professionals that aim to hone various real-world business skills and give singular insight into what makes CORPLaw successful.
- You will have the chance to work closely with well-rounded attorneys who provide priceless mentorship and educational opportunities that will benefit individuals in their future professional careers. There will also be numerous networking events (Both physical and virtually) that law clerks will be encouraged to attend that can lead to building a treasured network.
*The above is only a general description of the essential duties and proficiencies associated with this position. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all the individual’s duties holding such a position, nor is this document any type of guarantee. The firm may modify and amend any role description at any time at its sole discretion. Nothing herein creates a contract of employment or otherwise modifies the at-will nature of employment.
Our company at CORPlaw represents really cool companies (think crypto millionaires, high-growth tech start-ups, esports, influencers, etc.) as their full-service, litigation, and transactional, outside General Counsel. This isn't "door law". We don't touch family law, PI, criminal, etc., but we do offer a wide range of services to holistically advise clients as their fractional GCs (think employment, IP, contracts, raising capital, management of business disputes, and all areas where business and law collide).
Our tech-forward firm has a physical office space in WeWork Brickell City Center and operates a hybrid in-person and remote team environment. Some of our staff are fully remote and some take advantage of or otherwise simply prefer working from an in-person space. We accommodate both options much to the appreciation of our modern team and clients. We embraced remote before a pandemic required it.