Homeward Bound of WNC
The Housing Specialist cultivates relationships with landlords and property management companies to identify and procure safe, decent, affordable housing for Homeward Bound clients. In a challenging housing market, this position is critically important to the success of the agency and requires a high degree of creativity, sales and relationship management skills, organization, and administration. Most importantly, we are looking for individuals that have passion for the work and compassion for all people experiencing homelessness in our community, no exceptions.
Secure housing placements for clients by:
- Recruiting and building positive relationships with landlords and property management companies in the community that result in housing options for clients
- Maintaining a thorough database of affordable housing options in Buncombe County
- Working with case managers and clients to determine housing needs
- Making appropriate and successful matches between clients’ housing needs and available housing units
- Working with landlords to reduce housing barriers for people experiencing homelessness, including criminal backgrounds checks and credit checks, reducing deposit amounts, and waiving application fees
Work within our housing guidelines by:
- Thoroughly understanding all funding guidelines for rental assistance
- Accurately calculating rental amounts, utility allowances, and rent reasonableness
- Coordinating and facilitating all lease signings with the landlord, case manager, and client
- Conducting housing inspections on each unit before placing clients and inspecting units quarterly
- Ensuring compliance with all HUD requirements and other program guidelines
In conjunction with other Housing Specialists and Housing Placement Manager:
- Coordinate landlord communication and track accordingly in systems
- Receive and respond to landlord inquiries
- Coordinate landlord appreciation efforts
- Report on housing placement goals, action plans, and outcomes weekly and monthly
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, Social Work, Business Management, or related field
- Prior experience or willingness to work with the homeless population or populations with high clinical needs such as mental illness, trauma, domestic violence, and substance abuse
- Commitment to Homeward Bound’s mission and philosophy of service delivery
- 2 years experience in related fields preferred: sales, marketing and/or development, real estate, property management, affordable housing, recruitment, etc.
- Proven ability to engage and close deals with a variety of stakeholders. Ability to understand and articulate the value of a unit acquisition deal where all parties benefit.
- Excellent standards of customer service and professional communication skills:
- Ability to compellingly represent Homeward Bound in the community
- Ability to effectively communicate what we do and how it works to prospective landlords
- Ability to positively communicate with case managers and clients about housing needs and opportunities
- High degree of professionalism
- Self-motivated with an ability to problem-solve and prioritize
- Ability to work independently and incorporate the goals of a team, and ability to work as a member of a team
- Strong creative and critical thinking skills; excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Excellent administrative ability, including organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong computer skills
- Ability to prioritize work activities, develop realistic action plans, and demonstrate effective time management
- Must have reliable transportation, valid state-issued driver’s license, and car insurance. Please note that travel is required. Homeward Bound provides mileage reimbursement.
About Homeward Bound of WNC
Homeward Bound is the leading nonprofit organization in Buncombe County focused on ending homelessness using the best practice Housing First model. We work collaboratively with community partners and have a proven track record of stabilizing individuals and families. Since 2006, Homeward Bound has moved more than 2,236 men, women, and children off the streets, out of cars, camps, and shelters, and into permanent housing – 89% have not returned to homelessness.
- We believe in the absolute value and worth of every single human being.
- We believe that housing is a basic human right, integral to self-worth and dignity.
- We believe that homelessness is a solvable problem.
Mission: To prevent and end homelessness in our community through permanent housing and support.
For more information, visit: https://homewardboundwnc.org/