Eager to work with cutting-edge business owners and innovative lawyers?
We are an entrepreneurial business law firm on track for aggressive growth.
Position Summary: Who we want
We seek an experienced litigator with a genuine love for business ready to get off the bench and actively manage case files, junior associates, and client contact in a tech-forward environment. We want someone excited to step in and serve as General Counsel to small businesses, to produce results-oriented legal services, who gets energized working to protect entrepreneurs as they build their vision of success, and feels comfortable with managing a workload that will include both dispute management and some more general business deliverables (e.g., a simple contract, etc.).
Being a phenomenal lawyer is our bare minimum. There are plenty of those. We want more. On top of that, we want an assertive, energetic go-getter, who is self-directed and highly accountable and who is not defeated, jaded, or a curmudgeon.
$115k+ base (negotiable salary, commensurate with experience), plus additional incentives, benefits, remote or in-person option based on team-member preference and satisfaction of performance objectives, and more. The attorney we hire is not required to be a rainmaker or to bring us a book of business (we are already quite good at that piece) and their advancement at our firm is not based on their ability to generate business. However, if the attorney has an interest in business development, then the firm will gladly provide training and support to nurture that interest.
- Some travel may be requested.
- Availability and willingness to work hours as needed to meet critical deadlines.
- Strong commitment to client service excellence and teamwork, supporting work and team across time zones.
- Must possess the highest standards of ethical conduct and professionalism.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, and listening) and ability to collaborate effectively with diverse groups of professionals.
- Sound judgment and flexibility.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to coordinate multiple support tasks simultaneously.
- Extensive analytical and troubleshooting abilities.
- Ability to work well under pressure, dependable, patient, diplomacy, high-stress tolerance, excellent interpersonal communication skills, ability to prioritize workload and adapt to changing conditions.
- Visual acuity needed for transcription, extensive reading, and input (typing) of information into a computer.
- Ability to receive and convey detailed information through oral communication.
- Essential competency processes include language ability, reasoning, and memory.
The following are non-negotiable minimum qualifications for the position:
- 5 years minimum intensive litigation experience (if you need training wheels managing a dispute from beginning to end, then you are too junior for this role, and we ask you to hold out for one of our Junior Associate positions).
- Experience must include having independently led at least 5 depositions; the writing and arguing of at least 3 highly substantive motions in state or federal court; and, drafting of at least 5 complaints.
- A detail-oriented, phenomenal writer, problem-solver, and critical thinker who is excited by the intellectual challenge of learning new things.
- Business acumen and general experience (and continued interest) working at the intersection of business and law (e.g., drafting simple contracts and agreements).
- Florida license in good standing (note, we'd like someone living in the Miami or Tampa areas).
- Personality. Being a phenomenal lawyer is our bare minimum. There are plenty of those. We want more. On top of that, we want an assertive, energetic go-getter, who is self-directed and highly accountable and who is not defeated, jaded, or a curmudgeon.
Our ideal candidate is excited to get in on the ground floor of a team that's re-writing the narrative on what a modern law firm can and should be, with a mind towards securing rapidly incoming incentive and growth opportunities (including the managing attorney role we know we will soon need to supervise our growing legal team).
Our ideal candidate hates being told by the Old Guard, "we do it this way because we've always done it this way" and is holding out hope that one day they'll find that magical fairy tale home where quality brilliant lawyers exist without also being extreme douche bags.
Note, we have a strict No A$$ Hole Policy that applies to all our staff, our attorneys, and, yes, clients--who we rank, and, yes, we break up with clients if they mistreat our team--too.
Not a good fit. This position is not going to be a good fit for:
- A lawyer who is proud of their role as a Capital T Turd. You know this guy or gal. They make every human around them miserable, take gross pride in spouting out all the ways something "can't" or "won't" work, bludgeon unsuspecting humans with unnecessary pretentiousness, and enjoy snuffing out the light of positive visionary people that make the mistake of breathing in their vicinity as a result of their extreme misery and obvious self-loathing.
- Even if they don't rise to the level of a Capital T, someone content to play squarely in the box, tethering their self-worth to the name and ranking of their law firm, or who doesn't genuinely want to work with innovative small businesses, likely won't be a good fit with our team of trailblazing rebels who are all about fighting for the "little" guy (in business that is) and bulldozing traditional models of lawyering.
- An extremely passive personality or a one-trick specialist (unwilling to tackle new and exciting problems) with no interest in diversifying their skill set by the challenge of more holistic advising that comes with the role of General Counsel, also is unlikely to be a good fit with our team.
- And we clearly need someone with a sense of humor because, yeah, we say things like, Capital T Turd and if that just isn't a hilarious knee-slapper for you, then you (probably are a Capital T or) simply aren't the right kind of cool to sit at our table (physically or digitally).
Our company at CORPlaw represents really cool companies (think crypto millionaires, high-growth tech start-ups, esports, influencers, etc.) as their full-service, litigation, and transactional, outside General Counsel. This isn't "door law". We don't touch family law, PI, criminal, etc., but we do offer a wide range of services to holistically advise clients as their fractional GCs (think employment, IP, contracts, raising capital, management of business disputes, and all areas where business and law collide).
Our tech-forward firm has a physical office space in WeWork Brickell City Center and operates a hybrid in-person and remote team environment. Some of our staff are fully remote and some take advantage of or otherwise simply prefer working from an in-person space. We accommodate both options much to the appreciation of our modern team and clients. We embraced remote before a pandemic required it.