SCM Group North America
*Field Service Technicians*
SCM Group North America has several open opportunities for Service Technicians. Our Service Technicians are key to delivering a top notch customer experience from large industrial installations to smaller machine repair and maintenance. This position works out of your home-based office and travels extensively nationwide.
The Service Technician travels throughout the assigned region, across the US and perhaps even internationally to client sites. Performs the construction, assembly, installation and commission of equipment. Troubleshoots and repairs mechanical problems and/or the built-in hardware & software control programming, which includes relay control circuits, electronic boards. Most machines are PC-controlled, most use PLC’s.
- Utilizes electro-mechanical knowledge to install, start up and quality test new, second-hand machines.
- Serves as a technician on large industrial installations and service for complete industrial lines, packaging format tooling installation, set-up testing.
- Onsite repairs for machine breakdowns. Test repaired items to ensure compliance with technical specifications.
- Performs quality control tests on repaired equipment.
- Provides training on Wood Working machines for Customer Operators and Maintenance Technicians.
- Serves as technical advisor to customer on machine capabilities, solutions for optimal machine use, maintenance and repair.
- Establish and implement technical instruction programs for customers.
- Performing Preventive Maintenance contracts.
- Inspection and upgrades of used machines.
- Dismantling of machines for refurbishment or moving.
- Occasionally assists with preparing for shows and exhibitions using SCM Group equipment, including maintaining clean and organized conditions in the showroom.
- Associates Degree in Electronic Technology, mechanical engineering or other closely related discipline; plus 2 years of experience in a machine installation, maintenance and repair; or equivalent combination of experience and schooling.
- Preferred experience in industrial automation with ideal experience being in Wood Working equipment.
- Must demonstrate a strong understanding of electro-mechanical principles.
- Must have hands-on experience in troubleshooting equipment and using tools such as multi-meters, oscilloscopes, deadweight testers, pneumatic calibrators, electric-motor diagnostic equipment, and other associated instrumentation to perform diagnostics and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret wiring diagrams, schematics, and mechanical drawings, pneumatic and hydraulic drawings etc.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills are required.
- Fluent in English (reading, writing and spoken)
- Knowledge of other languages such as Spanish, Italian or French is an advantage.
- Must be computer literate and have the ability to quickly learn new software applications.
- Must be willing and able to travel (up to 70% of time – annual average) by air or automobile to customer site, and must have a car and valid driver’s license.
- Higher-level candidates will have:
- Very strong knowledge of the electrical, mechanical, and electronic industrial applications
- Strong knowledge of automation with PLC’s (NUM, KAVARA, MAGELIS) and PC’s (G CODES, M CODES) - knowledge of CAD/CAM software a plus.
- Familiarity with distributive control system hardware and software.
- Experience in wood working machinery industrial automation.
Physical demands and qualifications:
- Must be able to independently move and/or lift the heavy machine parts manually (up to 70-lbs).
- Also be capable of operating powerful equipment, such as forklifts and cranes, to maneuver and lift the machine parts for installation.
- This position requires the availability to work nights and weekends on emergency, as well as, the availability to rotate on-call for after-hours services.
- Must be able to adhere to safety rules and regulations; taking precautions is essential to guard against work hazards.
- Must be able to stand and work on ladder or scissors lift and to crawl in tight spaces to perform installation and repair. May be exposed to heat, grease, and noise on factory sites.
About SCM Group North America
SCM Group North America is a world leader in industrial woodworking machinery. We are part of SCM Group S.p.a. Italy, providing the most advanced skills and know-how in the fields of machinery and industrial components over the last 70 years. SCM Group North America is the center of all North American Sales, Service, and Spare parts, supporting our customers in the furniture, construction, cabinetry, and various other market sectors.
We offer a team-oriented work environment, competitive compensation, and a strong benefits package, including affordable Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage; company-paid STD, LTD, and Life; plus a 401(k) with matching.