The Edwards Law Group
Do you love digging into research and helping people? We’re hiring a paralegal to assist our legal team in preparing legal documents, filing motions, coordinating law office activity, and conducting legal research. Applicants should be experienced, highly-organized professionals with great attention to detail. If this sounds like a job you’ll love, apply below.
- Organize our case filing systems to ensure all documents are properly sorted and easy to locate, and other administrative duties as needed
- Prepare legal documents, correspondence, and pleadings such as complaints, interrogatories, subpoenas, deposition notices, pretrial orders, legal briefs, and affidavits, under the supervision of a lawyer
- Gather information about legal issues from the client in interviews
- Draft subpoenas and coordinate with process servers
- Help lawyers prepare for trial by preparing and organizing exhibits, assisting with client meetings, filing motions, conducting research on legal articles, and organizing and coordinating witnesses
- You MUST have a minimum of 3 years of experience in family law. If you do not have family law experience – DO NOT APPLY for this job.
- You MUST have litigation experience. If you do not have litigation experience – DO NOT APPLY for this job.
- If we need to hold your hand and tell you what needs to be done next on a case that is assigned to you – DO NOT APPLY for this job.
- If you do not know what objections to inserting in response to discovery served on a client, DO NOT APPLY for this job.
- The ideal candidate will be able to take a file from the time the client retains, all the way to trial, at which point the attorney will take over.
- This is a full-time job. Because our typical litigation load is fairly heavy, employees do work in an office to ensure clients have access to a member of the legal team at any time during office hours. This also allows for in-depth collaboration to move clients' cases towards a positive resolution.
- You must be a positive person. This work is stressful, and sometimes you just have to laugh at the bizarre situations we have to fix. We pride ourselves in taking on the “ugly” so our clients don’t have to. If you cannot manage your stress levels DO NOT APPLY for this job.
- We embrace those that are factual and realistic and quick to offer solutions to making our policies and procedures stronger which in turn better serves our clients. We look for people who embrace innovation and the use of technology in order to make their jobs easier. You must be proficient with Word, and basic case management. You must respect our policies and procedures and speak up when you have an idea to add to our efficiency and accuracy.
- The ideal candidate is able to change gears quickly, think on your feet, and make smart decisions. You also need to be detail-oriented and willing to go the extra mile to get the job done right the first time.
- In the family law field, it extremely important for our team members to practice empathy and compassion. It’s important to not take things personally and understand our clients are going through one of the toughest times in their life. Our job is to help them stay focused on where they want to go and guide them on how to get there.
- You must be a team player. You will be working with other members of our staff and both you and our other staff members are accountable to each other. We strive to schedule our internally imposed deadlines with plenty of time before the final "real" deadline. But, as you may have experienced, we will always have a handful of clients that are bringing us discovery documents the night before court. The people who thrive here, will roll up their sleeves and help their team get the work done.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and talent for writing and grammar
- Strong preference for candidates who have completed a paralegal professional certification or have an advanced paralegal education
- ABA-approved paralegal certificate program such as an Associate’s degree or proprietary school program in paralegal studies, Bachelor’s degree desired
- Excellent organizational skills, and time-management skills
- 3+ years of legal service experience under an attorney or lawyer in a law firm setting
About The Edwards Law Group
We are a small law firm in Atlanta with two attorneys (including our leader and founder) and 2 committed and dedicated support staff and more on the way! We are a family law firm. It’s all we do...and we do it well.