The Estimating & Purchasing Manager is responsible for ensuring MonteVista Homes is estimating and purchasing quality materials, labor, and service at the most competitive rate available in the market. The Estimating & Purchasing Manager directs the activities of the Estimating and Purchasing department concerning the purchase of materials and subcontract labor to construct new homes. The Estimating & Purchasing Manager will also develop a closeness, as liaison in representing and collaborating MonteVista’s Trade Partner support objectives. The Purchasing Manager will assist the Trade Partners in effectively, innovatively and efficiently reaching the mutual goal of smooth, consistent, and predictable construction practices.
Trade Partner Relations
- Actively represent MonteVista Homes to its Trade Partners in establishing a relational, professional, and advocacy role.
- To assist in the understanding, design, drafting, review, and approval of a Trade Partner’s support need.
- Authoring and presenting any Trade Partner request for support to MonteVista.
- Capture and track internally (MonteVista) and externally (Trade Partners) problematic areas and/or opportunities involving Trade Vendors practices and experience.
- Practice observance, documenting, and notes all aspects of the Trade Partner Operations and observations when present and especially when invited into deeper operations information.
- Prepared to respond and/or pursue a Trade Partner’s need regarding support. To assist and/or advocate for improvements in their Capital Resources (labor, materials, equipment, etc.)
Manages the Estimating and Purchasing Processes
- Collects and monitors competitive builder information by visiting jobsites and shopping the competition regularly.
- Maximizes MonteVista Homes buying power through volume purchasing and value engineering in all markets and maximizes the perceived value to cost ratio.
- Evaluate the process of our vendors (even “map” their procedures) to identify possible waste or process improvements.
- Maintains a master price book.
- Develops, reviews, and tracks subcontractor and supplier contract negotiations.
- Develops relationships with subcontractors committed to reducing cost and increasing service.
- Develops bid lists and bid packages and establishes bidding procedures and analysis.
- Tracks All materials
- Reviews all material before it leaves the Estimating Department. Specifically reviews all cost estimates, to provide the Sales and Marketing team with accurate and timely information.
Responsible for the strategic planning for estimating and purchasing
- Writes and revises estimating and purchasing policies and procedures as necessary.
Reviews, considers, and monitors all manufacturers and supplier’s rebate programs
- Assists in the design and costing of new models.
- Estimates all new models.
- Completes special pricing requests accurately and within a reasonable timeframe.
- Five years of experience in estimating and purchasing, preferably in production residential housing and/or commercial construction.
- A CPM designation is highly desirable.
- Understand pricing and the impact on capital.
- Possess excellent relationship and communication skills.
- Will present a positive image for the company, be a win-win thinker and good negotiator.
- Will be creative and innovative, and respectful of co-workers, sub-contractors and suppliers.
up to $120,000
About MonteVista Homes
MonteVista Homes is a 2nd generation Award-Winning homebuilder who builds quality, value-packed new homes in Oregon. Our energy-efficient homes are distinguished by innovative designs and solid craftsmanship, and our staff is deeply committed to the satisfaction and delight of our customers. At MonteVista Homes, we believe that everyone should have the opportunity to be a homeowner—as such, we base our mission around the company credo: “Built with you in mind.”