Rural Mutual Insurance
Rural seeks an individual with 10+ years of claims management experience to manage a team of casualty adjusters/attorneys and Rural’s TPA relationship with a Wisconsin-only municipal liability insurer. The ideal candidate will have meaningful management experience in an insurance claims setting, experience handling and supervising liability claims involving bodily injury and property damage and be able to offer outstanding internal and external customer service. This is a remote position with travel anticipated throughout the State of Wisconsin. Travel to our Home Office in Madison will be required on occasion.
- Manages a team of four adjusters and one attorney overseeing Rural’s large loss/casualty claims, including first- and third-party personal injury, property damage/construction defect, bad faith, and appraisal claims and lawsuits.
- Manages Rural’s TPA relationship with a Wisconsin-only municipal liability insurance carrier, including municipal/governmental entity claims, personal injury, property damage, land use, alleged constitutional violations and employment claims.
- Oversees claim reserves and ensures that claims are promptly reported to reinsurance, following all applicable reporting guidelines.
- Reviews and evaluates claims/litigation strategy, claim valuation, and appropriateness of settlements.
- Assists adjusters in the negotiations and resolution of claims and suits.
- Provides effective and timely assistance and advice to adjusters, insureds, and agents, as needed.
- In some cases, directly supervises complex claims involving Rural and/or its insured(s).
- Oversees and manages the relationship with Rural’s outside counsel and communicates with them regarding litigation strategy, file status, and progress.
- Reviews incoming Summonses and Complaints and evaluates same for coverage-related issues; drafts Reservation of Rights letters and communicates with insureds on the availability and extent of insurance coverage, if necessary.
- Stays current on state statutes and court decisions and analyzes how statutes and court decisions affect the interpretation and enforceability of various policy provisions.
- Participates in weekly claims committees and acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience, including Rural’s adjusters.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degrees in business administration, insurance, or a related field or comparable experience at an insurance company.
- 10+ years of relevant legal or insurance-related experience.
- A JD with relevant insurance coverage or defense litigation experience from an accredited law school is preferred but is not required.
- If JD, admission to the Wisconsin State Bar, or the ability to be promptly admitted, is required.
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional decision-making, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Capable of working independently with little guidance.
- Demonstrated exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Bilingual abilities (Spanish, Hmong, etc.) a plus.
$130,000 - $160,000/yr based on experience
About Rural Mutual Insurance
What You'll Love About Rural Mutual Insurance:
We created a welcoming place to work with friendly and professional leadership. We are known for the great care we take with our staff, our agents, and our customers. We are passionate and determined about delivering the best customer service, preserving insurance industry knowledge, and making a difference through the work that we do.
We believe in a healthy work/life balance and to that end offer a competitive and comprehensive compensation package including health, dental, life, LTD, and vision insurance as well as an employee bonus plan, matching 401(k) plan, and generous time off benefits.