The Nieves Law Firm, APC
Our Oakland law firm is small enough that everyone is a critical part of the team, yet big enough to offer the security you want. Work where you personally know the managing attorney and have daily interaction with the clients we serve. There is room for advancement for the right candidate so we are seeking employees who are committed to growing with the firm and who believe in longevity in their positions. The culture in our firm is important to our staff and our clients - we need team players who are prepared to work hard to fight for the rights of others.
- Organize files and present flagged information to attorney
- Docket and calendar events
- Update and manage online case management system
- Communicate with clients by providing updates and answering questions that do not involve legal advice
- Communicate with outside agencies, clients, vendors, etc. regarding case statuses or matters
- Compile and file documents with the court in person or through e-filing
- Compile and prepare documents for court filing via process server with applicable instructions and filing fees
- Collaborate directly with firm attorneys regarding case statuses, tasks, deadlines, and projects
- Provide direction and assistance to members of the legal team
- Consistently and accurately create time entries for client billing
- Conduct research on laws, legal articles, and regulations
- Issue spot and draft relevant motions for attorney review and submission.
- Draft documents by customizing applicable forms and pleadings
- Draft correspondence on behalf of attorney for attorney signature and review
- Draft motions, court forms, mitigation packets, information requests, subpoenas, and other legal documents
- Ensure proper formatting, style, and captions on firm documents
- Prepare discovery requests and responses to discovery demands for attorney review
- Secure timely transcription of case related audio and video recordings
- Ensure timely preparation and service of witness subpoenas for relevant hearings as well as timely call-offs when no longer needed
- Coordinate depositions and meet and confers with opposing counsel
- Coordinate experts, investigators, and other third-party service providers
- Complete case summaries and memos for case file and attorney review
- Help attorneys prepare cases for hearings (trial binders, scheduling calls, document gathering, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Assist lawyers in the courtroom with contested hearings
- To be a key player on the team you must be dependable, punctual, computer literate, a fast typist, and have a great attitude.
- You must have 1-year criminal law experience or the equivalent internship, volunteer, and/or educational experience.
- You must possess a paralegal certificate or verifiable training in paralegal studies
- You must have excellent communication skills, pay attention to detail, have a professional attitude, and complete projects within the assigned deadlines.
- The ideal candidate must be proficient in Word, Outlook, Excel, Mac OS, and Lexis Nexis. Experience with online case management systems or client relationship management systems is preferred.
- Exhibit the highest level of dependability when it comes to tracking and meeting deadlines.
- This position requires a high school diploma but an Associate’s degree or legal training is preferred.
- Spanish speaking required.
$24- $28 hourly
About The Nieves Law Firm, APC
At The Nieves Law Firm, we take the criminal out of criminal defense - our mission is to restore the reputation of individuals who have been accused of crimes and help them plan for a better future.
Our firm has been named as the 12th fastest-growing law firm in the nation by Law Firm 500. Our managing attorney has been named a Northern California Rising Star Super Lawyer every year since 2016 and The Nieves Law Firm has also been recognized as one of the fastest-growing companies run by Florida State University Alumni.
We attribute our success to our belief in our core values of Truth, Restoration, Action, Compassion, and Knowledge and we are looking for team members who will be able to uphold the same values and provide excellent service to our clients.