Law Office of Patrick J. McLain, PLLC.
Criminal Defense Paralegal/ Legal Assistant
- Review appointments and reminders for at least 30 days out to ensure: deadlines are calendared, and scheduling conflicts are identified and resolved
- Ensure materials for appointments are ready 2-4 business hours prior to the appointment
- Triage and prioritize responses to calls, mail and emails; make calls or delegate to the legal assistant as appropriate
- Maintaining communication with clients via phone and email
- Schedule appointments
- Perform casework (letters, pleadings, filings)
- Maintaining client records in the case management system
- Enter billable time
- Prepare attorney and paralegal for meetings/ depositions/ hearings
- Prepare discovery, responses to discovery demands, and requests for discovery
- Docket (schedule) legal events/ case milestones
- Organize, sort, and summarize case information and files
- Top 5 competencies for success in the POSITION
- Time & Priority Management
- Top 5 competencies for success in RELATIONSHIPS
- Interpersonal Skills
- Technical Skills (unlimited, but REQUIRED; NOT DESIRED)
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
- ECF and Efile Texas
- Typing (60wpm)
- The Paralegal’s primary goal is to support our legal team with drafting and filing correspondence, pleadings, motions, and appeals, and preparing for hearings and trials, under the direction of one or more Attorneys in the office with administrative supervision by the Office Manage.
- A Paralegal provides quality legal services to clients at a lower billable rate than an Attorney, and by doing so, benefits both the Firm and clients.
- 3 years minimum experience, preferably with familiarity with a criminal defense
- We use Clio, Dropbox, and Adobe; prior experience is noted but not required
About Law Office of Patrick J. McLain, PLLC.
We are a Dallas-based law firm specializing in federal criminal defense and military justice cases around the world. We take pride in fighting for people when the government is going after them. Our primary concern is preserving the reputations and futures of our clients.