Law Offices of Anna R. Yum
Are you ambitious, have the drive and desire to work on exciting and interesting criminal cases, but don’t want to deal with the headache of running a business and making the phone ring?
Are you experienced and passionate about practicing criminal defense, while working in a team environment that will give you the support and space to thrive?
The Law Offices of Anna R. Yum prides itself on helping our clients come out of an extremely difficult and emotional process by knowing that they had a team behind them that truly cared and fought for them throughout the legal process.
If you feel like you’re the perfect candidate based upon the points below, please follow these instructions:
Please upload a cover letter that includes: (1) what are the 3 most important qualities needed in someone who works in criminal defense and why you believe they are the most important qualities; (2) why you applied to this ad; and (3) what are your short-term and long-term personal and professional goals.
Salary will depend upon experience and skill. We offer a highly competitive benefits package which includes medical insurance with the availability of vision and dental insurance, disability insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, paid vacation, eligibility to participate in the firm’s 401(k) plan pursuant to the plan’s policies and procedures, and merit-based bonuses.
- Conduct research and draft pleadings, briefs, and motions
- Keep apprised of changes to local, state, and federal statutes and laws
- Get appropriate documents prepared, such as motions, pleadings, notices, and discovery requests and responses
- Attend court hearings on behalf of clients and argue motions
- Prepare for and attend trials, mediation, and arbitration hearings
- Effectively litigate pre-trial hearings and motions (e.g. preliminary hearings, PC 1538.5 motions, PC 995 motions, etc.) and jury trials
- Negotiate potential negotiated dispositions or plea bargains at misdemeanor and felony readiness conferences
- You will be expected to take responsibility for a client's case – conduct client meetings and recommend strategies; communicate with prosecutors, the government, witnesses, and experts; ensure accurate and timely filings; attend hearings, and delegate work to paralegals and legal assistants and monitor their work
- You must possess a valid driver's license and be willing and able to travel to various courthouses in Southern California
- Persuasive writing skills and verbal communication skills are critical, along with time management and interpersonal skills
- Active member in good standing with local and state bar associations
- Prior experience representing clients in trials, mediation, and arbitration
- Must be able to handle heavy caseload with little supervision
- Bachelor’s degree with a law degree from an accredited law school (such as an LLM, JSD, or J.D. degree)
- Must have an outstanding command of the courtroom
- At least 4 years of experience working in criminal law (criminal defense or prosecution)
- High-maintenance, humorless, self-entitled, or self-important individuals will not succeed in this position and need not apply
- If we can’t count on you to provide excellent legal representation, responsiveness, and customer service to our clients, don’t apply
- We are growing, and you will be called upon to wear many hats. We need someone who does not think that the occasional need to scan your own documents is “beneath you."
- We need an attorney who can contribute to developing the strategy of a case and who knows where to find the code, cases, and rules of procedure to back up that case strategy. You also need to know how to find your way around the courtroom and how to project confidence and competence when dealing with clients and people on behalf of our clients
$90,000 - $110,000 yearly
About Law Offices of Anna R. Yum
At the Law Offices of Anna R. Yum, we help good people protect their future and freedom when accused of a crime. Our AV-rated firm is a highly reputable, fast-paced, and team-oriented criminal defense firm that handles all types of criminal matters ranging from misdemeanors to serious and/or violent felonies in the Southern California area. We are seeking a highly-motivated and experienced senior associate attorney to handle his/her own caseload which includes arraignments, pre-trial readiness conferences, preliminary hearings, pre-trial motions, sentencing hearings, probation revocations, jury trials, etc. At our firm, we pride ourselves in working together as a team, and adhering to a positive, supportive, and drama-free work culture. If you are reliable and committed to providing the highest level of care to the clients we serve, we want you!