Homeward Bound of WNC
Homeward Bound of WNC has multiple housing programs that provide short and long-term financial assistance for housing and case management support to individuals and families experiencing homelessness in Buncombe County. Case Managers are trained to assist individuals with identifying barriers to housing stability and engage in goal planning that aims to link individuals to the resources and skills that they need in order to achieve long-term housing stability.
We currently have three Housing Case Manager positions available:
- Permanent Supportive Housing(PSH) Case Manager
- Rapid Re-Housing (RRH) Case Manager
- Housing Authority of the City of Asheville (HACA) Case Manager
These case management positions provide assistance in housing but do have some programmatic differences.
Case Managers should feel comfortable working with a variety of traditional housing barriers such as mental illness and substance abuse disorders and have strong administrative skills and documentation standards. Most importantly, we are looking for individuals that have a passion for the work and compassion for all people experiencing homelessness in our community, no exceptions.
- Work with each client to develop and/or strengthen their goal plan according to individual goals and objectives
- Maintain contact with all housing clients on a scheduled basis, appropriate to their particular status and needs
- Ensure that all client interactions are person-centered, goal-focused and reflect each client’s goal plan
- Build professional relationships with clients, providers, and community partners
- Provide clients training in the areas of personal hygiene, accessing community resources, medical adherence, household management or other needs as outlined in the client’s goal plan
- Exercise patience, understanding, and concern for each client’s well-being, safety, development, and enjoyment of life
- Make referrals to supportive services in our community as appropriate and support each client in navigating this process
- Facilitate and assist with client move-in process
- Facilitate and assist with moving-out clients and cleaning units
- Be an effective mediator and advocate for all housing clients
- Participate in the Continuum of Care as established by HUD
- Effectively use compliance tools and ensure observance of all data standards and record-keeping as required the grant requirements and Homeward Bound
- Effectively report as required by HUD compliance for rental support
- Maintain thorough and timely case notes for each client interaction
- Communicate effectively in oral and written forms with clients, their families, their significant others, coworkers, supervisors, other service agencies and the community
- When required, provide transportation for clients
- Perform annual re-certifications and inspections for each client and accurately update files as necessary
- Attend weekly case management meetings and other specified meetings and trainings as required
- Bachelors of Social Work, human services or related degree, graduate degree or comparable experience
- Prior experience with homeless population or populations with high clinical needs
- Must have compassion for this work and treat each person receiving services with respect and dignity
- Willingness to work interdependently with case management team
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
- Operate proficiently a personal computer, software, fax machine, printer, and copier
About Homeward Bound of WNC
Homeward Bound is the leading nonprofit organization in Buncombe County focused on ending homelessness using the best practice Housing First model. We work collaboratively with community partners and have a proven track record of stabilizing individuals and families. Since 2006, Homeward Bound has moved more than 2,236 men, women, and children off the streets, out of cars, camps, and shelters, and into permanent housing – 89% have not returned to homelessness.
- We believe in the absolute value and worth of every single human being.
- We believe that housing is a basic human right, integral to self-worth and dignity.
- We believe that homelessness is a solvable problem.
Mission: To prevent and end homelessness in our community through permanent housing and support.
For more information, visit: https://homewardboundwnc.org/