Sawtooth Wood Products
Our company restores and repairs existing log homes, builds small log structures, manufactures and installs log railing, and performs specific log-building tasks for General Contractors. We have a strong reputation, and high-quality craftsmanship is required in all of our work.
Our carpentry work consists mostly of log carpentry. Our expectation is that you will have limited to no log-building experience, but any experience with residential log homes is a plus. You will be working alongside an experienced log builder as an assistant until you build your log-building skills and are ready to perform jobs on your own.
The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of wood properties and construction materials, experience in residential construction, and a strong record of working within all health and safety standards.
- Potential Reimbursement for commuting time and fuel cost
- Medical Insurance is provided after a 90-day waiting period. (Premiums are paid for the employee, family members can be added at the employee’s expense)
- You will receive vacation days as further described in the employee handbook after working 1,500 hours and at least one year.
- You are eligible to participate in the company’s SIMPLE IRA retirement plan when you have earned at least $5,000 in the preceding year.
- As an employee, you can purchase any company item for sale at a discounted rate of a 10% markup.
- Positively represent Sawtooth Wood Products & Equipment.
- Be friendly, informed, helpful, and fruitful.
- Provide feedback to me on our products, our company, our customers, and our competitors.
- Adhere to all local laws, company safety policies, and product safety warnings, and promote the same with our customers.
- Assist an experienced log builder is all log construction activities
- Locate, pull out, and prepare raw logs for construction
- Assist in milling operations
- Cut log joinery (scribes, notches, mortise & tenon)
- Read drawings and sketches, and build to drawn requirements
- Build log railings and staircases, and install the same.
- Restoration and maintenance work includes properly using stains, chinking, fungicides, and Bor-8 rods
- Build scaffolding and other construction structures
- Work with other project contributors including crane operators, concrete masons, roofers, other carpenters, and general contractors.
- Deep knowledge of carpentry materials, tools, and techniques
- Strong measuring and math skills required
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Great physical condition and dexterity
- Proficient in English
- Drivers License
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
- Own basic carpentry tools
- Experience with forklifts, small loaders, and tractors, skid steers, etc.
- Good understanding of basic math
- Proven experience as a carpenter (using dimensional lumber)
- Understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction
- Proficient in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools (chain saws, powered saws, hammers, rulers, etc.)
- Ability to read plans and drawings
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times
A log carpenter plans and executes light construction projects requiring specialized log carpentry skills. Those skills are developed daily by working with an experienced log carpenter.
About Sawtooth Wood Products
Sawtooth Wood Products and Equipment has served the Wood River Valley since 1978 with fencing, log products, and small engine sales and service (snowblowers, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc.). We are a fencing contractor and sell fencing materials if you want to build yourself. Our log products and services range from milling logs for your project to installing complex logs for your remodel, she-shed, and cabin. Our small engine line includes brands like Stihl, Honda, and Ariens, providing best-in-class snowblowers, chainsaws, trimmers, lawnmowers, concrete cutters, and more. Our small engine service department is always ready to get your equipment running again. Visit us today for your fencing, log, and small engine needs. Our yard and shop are located at 775 S Main Street, Bellevue, ID.