The Building Engineer is responsible for utilization of advanced skills to perform complex preventive maintenance and corrective repair of a wide array of buildings MEP systems. Daily activities related to the maintenance and repair of all mechanical systems within a group of assigned properties or an assigned property. The duties will include the maintenance and operations of HVAC/R equipment and building automation system controls. Other systems may include life safety equipment, refrigeration systems and other mechanical or electrical building systems. The Building Engineer must be flexible and willing to complete all tasks that are assigned. Occasional overtime and Saturday work required.
- Inspects, operates, and maintains the following building mechanical equipment (where applicable), including high-pressure boilers, all heating and ventilating equipment, safely, efficiently, and reliably to avoid unscheduled shutdowns, to provide comfortable conditioned occupant space, and extending the useful life of the equipment.
- Maintain mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment, assuring a properly controlled climate at the property or properties.
- Performs assigned repairs, emergency, and preventive maintenance.
- Completes and documents maintenance and repair records as required.
- Maintains the building lighting systems, exterior, and interior including element and ballast repairs or replacements.
- Performs welding, carpentry, painting, furniture assembly, and locksmith tasks as needed.
- Replace plumbing fixtures, perform routine rodding, replace plumbing systems piping and required insulation, report deficiencies in plumbing systems
- Act as on-call engineer-responds to service calls.
- May coordinate Tenant Improvement or Capital Improvement work and assign tasks.
- Able to read and interpret blueprints and diagrams, recommends materials and parts to repair or replace mechanical systems and equipment, and installs make repairs.
- Identifies deferred maintenance in building utility systems serving areas affected by proposed construction projects.
- Reviews construction plans and suggests possible service tie-in and routing locations.
- Traces out proposed utility service shutdowns to identify affected areas and activates service shutdowns and reactivations.
- Reviews the building systems installation by outside contractors and records deficiencies on a punch list.
- Develops, in cooperation with a property manager, the annual R&M budget. Obtains budget pricing from vendors.
- Participates in the review of construction plans. Troubleshooting potential MEP issues in the design phase. Ensures construction is executed in accordance with approved construction plans.
- The ideal candidate must have strong HVAC background
- Ability to read and analyze Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing drawings
- Working under limited supervision monitors building system operations and performance.
- Utilizes several trade skills such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, roofing, heating, and cooling.
- Complies with all applicable codes, regulations, governmental agency, and Company directives related to building operations and work safety.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft office suite
- Ability to work as a user with BAS program or similar Preventative Maintenance and Tenant Request program experience
- EPA 608 Universal Technician CFC
- Vocational/Technical training certificate(s)
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of four years of related experience and/or trade school training.
$34 per hour
About Bradford Allen
Bradford Allen is a Chicago-based, national commercial real estate company that provides a full array of brokerage services and expertise to entrepreneurial and corporate business entities, as well as not-for-profit organizations. The firm provides real estate strategy, advice, marketing, and transaction execution for occupiers, investors, and owners of real estate. Services include Tenant Representation, Landlord Representation, Property Management, Commercial Real Estate Finance, Corporate Services, and Investment Sales.
Bradford Allen professionals create flexible solutions for our clients through their experience, commitment to solving the most difficult problems, persistence, loyalty, hard work, and a singular focus on client objectives.