Bariatric Patient Navigator (Secretary II)
The primary role of the Bariatric Patient Navigator is to assist patients in meeting their insurance and clinical requirements for the weight management services desired; specifically the navigator determines the patient’s insurance benefits for weight loss surgery and then communicates routinely with the patient during their plan of care. The goal of the Bariatric Patient Navigator is to increase patient volumes while maximizing patient satisfaction. The Patient Navigator will facilitate the pre-operative process, obtain authorizations for all diagnostics and testing as deemed necessary by physicians/surgeons/payers, submit for insurance benefits/approval for weight loss surgery. The Patient Navigator will communicate with the surgeon and bariatric team office throughout the entire pre-operative process in an efficient and professional manner. The Bariatric Patient Navigator will be the contact person for the patient throughout the patient's entire weight management treatment plan.
This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. It is not intended to serve as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities required of personnel so classified.
1. Assist new and current patients with all clearance items to move from seminar to surgery and track clearance status using electronic medical record system
2. Obtain all benefit information, pre-certification, authorizations, for primary, secondary bariatric procedures
3. Responsible for all bariatric scheduling including: surgical, nutrition and behavioral consultations, follow-up appointments, pre-op testing, lab work, procedures, Group Medical visits (GMV)
4. Facilitate all referrals to specialty services including cardiology, sleep lab, Exercise Is Medicine
5. Maintain patient medical records in Athena and Exemplo
6. Provide required pre-operative patient instruction (time, location, prescription changes) in preparation for surgery
7. Contact patients who no show to reschedule/ send no show letters
8. Enter all charges for nutrition and physician appointments for every clinic, store products
9. Provide secretarial support to manage phone, email , faxes and portal
10. Complete any required paperwork pre/post-surgery including orders for procedures, lab work, testing, FMLA paperwork, out of work notes
11. Participate in team meeting and MBS Committee meetings
12. Maintain competency in signs/symptoms of emergency and sensitivity
13. Demonstrate compliance with both programmatic and ASMBS policies/pathways
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Use and apply medical terminology appropriately
3. Working knowledge of multi-phone line answering systems preferred
4. Working knowledge of electronic appointment scheduling program
5. One year of experience scheduling medical appointments
6. Basic computer skills; word processing, spreadsheet, email and web browsing
1. Ability to relate sensitively to patients needs
2. Excellent telephone skills and etiquette
3. Maintains confidentiality
4. Ability to establish credibility with physicians, staff, and patients
5. Ability to function as a part of a team and promote teamwork required
6. Must be mature and demonstrate good judgment.
7. Must have excellent grammar and effective communication skills
8. Must present a professional image.
9. Organizational skills to accurately keep track of patient status required
10. Time management and multi-tasking capability to monitor numerous patients simultaneously required