Full Time (40 hours per week), full benefits
The Bariatric Clinical Secretary (CMA, CST, or LPN) performs both clinical and clerical tasks ensuring a smooth and efficient bariatric department flow. The Bariatric Clinical Secretary facilitates notification of patients and surgeons regarding scheduling of surgeries, appointments and tests.
The Bariatric Clinical Secretary enters patient/surgery information in computer and maintains accurate and orderly schedules for the provider. The Bariatric Clinical Secretary maintains order/charge entry and completion of daily reports and tasks as well as scribing, organizing and maintaining multiple aspects of the Bariatric program.
Answer telephones/Process faxes
- Promptly answer the telephones using approved scripting.
- Provide assistance to patients.
- Task all clinical questions to physicians or clinical staff per clinic policy.
- Utilize instant messaging or other department communication method to immediately contact clinical personnel with urgent requests.
- Return all phone calls within one business day; urgent calls immediately.
- Provide accurate messages to all staff and task physicians with referring physician requests.
- Process incoming faxes and send out faxes as needed daily.
Schedule Surgeries and Ancillary Services
- Select surgery dates based upon scheduling availability, diagnosis, urgency and MD preferences.
- Write up surgery charge tickets with CPT and ICD-10 codes for MD approval.
- Put global days into computer per clinic policy.
- Input surgery charges or turn in to department coder per department policy.
- Schedule Ancillary Services: document the reason whenever a diagnostic test is not scheduled at Pinehurst Surgical.
- Schedule hospital or surgery center surgeries/tests: Fax in the surgery posting sheet/orders and appropriate patient records based on procedure. Provide a routing slip with prioritized steps. Escort the patient to pre-admissions as needed.
Register New Patients and Schedule Appointments
- Enter or verify demographic and insurance information.
- Use ihealth task list to register patient if info is received from patient portal.
- Process incoming referrals based on clinic and department policy.
- Assess whether a referral from the primary is necessary based on patient insurance.
- Assure the patient’s insurance has a contracted insurance carrier.
- Schedule the appointment.
- Provide the patient directions and any needed information to prepare them for the appointment.
- Send note to the patient and referring physician for patients who don’t show up.
- Make note in patients chart for patients who cancel their appointments.
- Schedule and organize Group Medical Visits.
- Verify the insurance card is up to date in the system.
- Check eligibility.
- Accurately complete the benefit form.
- Contact the insurance carrier on-line or by phone.
- Task the benefit form to the financial counselor and if the patient is present, escort the patient to the financial counselor.
Bariatric Clinical Tasks
- Complete charges for “store” products.
- Scribe for the provider as needed.
- Follow up with online completion of Bariatric paperwork.
- Track bariatric patient progress including food diaries.
- Copy and scan all weight sheets and patient questionnaires.
- Schedule bariatric patients for classes and maintain class schedules.
- Attend one informational session per month.
Order Management/Charge Entry for Clinic Charges
- Input appropriate orders per provider requests, only when allowed by clinic policy.
- Follow order and request thru to completion.
- Notify appropriate person(s) if results have not been received in timely manner per department protocol.
- Keep current daily/weekly/monthly order and task reports per clinic policy.
- Input provider charges on a daily basis ensuring all diagnosis and procedure codes are accurately and completely entered (behavioral, nutrition, nurse visits).
General Administrative Duties
- Schedule committee meetings, seminars, vacations and personal appointments on the provider’s calendar.
- Send out notifications to manager and other persons/entities of provider changes in schedule so that appropriate staffing and surgery schedule adjustments can be made.
- Collect and distribute mail.
- Contact PAS department with any clinic delays in providers arrival or clinic schedule per clinic policy.
- Complete all Disability forms and FMLA forms per clinic policy.
- Review failed fax logs.
- Correct any issues by working the hold/denial buckets.
- Medical Assistant Certification or Registration, Surgical Tech Certification, or Practical Nurse License
- Two years experience in a medical setting
- Experience with ICD-10 and CPT- 4 coding
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal abilities
- Well organized
- Maintains confidentiality
- Service orientation
- Ability to relate sensitively to patients
About Pinehurst Surgical
Pinehurst Surgical is a state-of-the-art facility located in Pinehurst, North Carolina with locations in Rockingham, Sanford, Raeford, Laurinburg, Troy and more!