GTC design studio
GTC Design Studio (Good Times Creative) is a multi-disciplinary design firm based out of San Diego. Our work is intricate, impactful, fast-paced, and exciting, thriving on collaboration and self-leadership skills bringing the best version of yourself to the table. This approach blends the talents and skill sets from architecture, interior design, and building techniques to bring forth a beautifully configured project through our signature process.
We are partnered with some of the largest developers and investors in San Diego and work on a diverse range of projects like hospitality, mixed-use developments, multi-family, and residential.
We are seeking a Project Architect who has years of experience developing and managing commercial projects while reporting to private money investors. This person will join a fun, fast-paced, and highly effective team.
Salary is anywhere from $80,000 - $110,000 commensurate with experience and includes a competitive compensation package including medical, and dental insurance, a 401(k), and continuing education assistance program, along with other excellent benefits.
- Produce drawings and renderings and revise designs based on feedback
- Coordinate consultant drawings ( HVAC, landscape architect, civil engineers, etc) and integrate into design plans
- Convey design intent specifications clearly and ensure quality control through site visits with construction professionals
- Present design proposals, building design blueprints, and construction documents containing specifications for building materials and products
- Collaborate throughout the project with project managers and clients to ensure the end product meets the client’s quality and budget expectations
- Manage medium to Large projects. At least 8-12 years of successfully managing Residential and Commercial Architectural projects (Interiors are a plus)
- Show strong evidence of being a profitable team leader for past design firms
- High level of analytical skills: Proficiency in using budgeting analysis (MS Excel spreadsheet creation), and doing code and zoning-related research
- Be someone that naturally follows through on commitments. Has to be able to build both clients and team members' trust
- Experience in getting previous work done on time and on a budget is critical
- Knowledge of how to create a design schedule is important (We use a custom Monday.com account)
- Understanding of how long design and production tasks should take to be completed
- Have a strong knowledge of California building code regulations
- Knowledge of how to work with and measure up the GTC consultants to ensure the project progresses smoothly
- Have a varied portfolio of past project types that can be drawn on while leading the team, or even presenting in your interview
- Must be able to make their project better from a financial viewpoint as well as design and technical execution
- Knowledge of what each design consultant can offer the team in terms of specific system selections
- Being able to judge the progress of design studies and offer constructive criticism to guide teammates
- Be passionate about improving the GTC design process by pursuing continuing education opportunities
- Ability to mentor younger teammates to develop/exhibit good organization skills.
- Have a strong technical background in terms of materials knowledge, detailing, and systems coordination
- Be willing to offer their best effort at all times, on multiple projects in different phases
- Minimum 5 years of experience with construction projects, producing complete sets of construction documents for developments, residential, or office buildings
- Fluent in computer-aided design/CAD / design software: Photoshop, Revit, AutoCad, and Sketch-Up and BIM (Building Information Modeling) technology
- Firm understanding of the construction process, and state and national safety requirements and building codes (IEBC, IBC, IRC, etc.) is vital
- Superior problem solving, technical, project management skills, and exceptional communication skills
- Completion of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture from a National Architectural Accrediting Board approved program is required
- Project scheduling, management, and productivity skills
- REVIT program - have the ability to decide on the level of modeling needed. Know the program well enough to understand its capabilities and limitations so it is used wisely
- Blue Beam program - have the knowledge to do viewing, printing, and commenting
- MS Word document creation and writing skills. Effective letter writing, narrative writing, marketing pursuit writing skills
- Data filing system expertise - need to be able to store immense amounts of information that range in content and detail. Organizing drawings, graphics, financial, correspondence, and product data are key to running a project well and retrieving information effectively
- Math skills - have strong knowledge of geometry, trigonometry, and basic algebra formulas. Will be looking at and creating many documents that rely on good math knowledge
- Public Speaking/ Leadership training - Dale Carnegie or LEAD-type training to effectively motivate/manage groups of individuals is important. (May need to take training classes if not previously trained)
- Sustainability knowledge - LED AP expected, Cal Green knowledge and knowledge about materials (thermal properties and embodied energy costs to produce), and building systems (especially HVAC & lighting) in terms of energy efficiency are valuable
- Specifications - have the ability to edit master sections, knowledge of products to support why they are used, and liability risks
- System coordination and detailing experience - have the ability to gauge how complete the design documents are at any point in the project. Be able to identify the impact of one material or system on the others that it needs to be integrated with
- Construction cost estimating - have the cost comparison knowledge to first set the project's budget with the Client. Have the ability to do effective value engineering to guide the team back to the budget when needed
$80,000 - $110,000
About GTC design studio
GTC Design is one of the fastest growing architect firms in San Diego and has gained popularity for upscale establishments such as Coco Maya, Rare Society, Mission x Garnet, and hundreds of ADU developments across the greater San Diego area.
You will be joining a highly motivated and fast-paced full-service architectural firm. Our services include construction drawings, interior design, engineering, project management, consultation, and white glove service for our results-driven clients.
GTC provides services for a wide array of projects and specializes in long-term client relationships. Collective expertise includes: large-scale commercial, retail and industrial projects, multi-family and mixed-use projects, hospitality, and residential.