The Accounting Specialist should possess:
- Enjoyment in following the rules! A key duty of Accounting Specialist at StaffScapes is ensuring our clients are abiding by payroll and tax laws. An aspiring Accounting Specialist will need to find enjoyment in staying up-to-date with law changes and be able to communicate them internally and to clients effectively and professionally.
- A love for accounting! This person must love the black and white compartmentalization that is accounting. The Accounting specialist must enjoy the details, the repetition, and solving puzzles.
- Organizational and time management skills! The ideal candidate will possess a track record of being very detail oriented. In this role you will be responsible for tracking client information and meeting important deadlines.
- A technology friendly background! This person must be proficient in the Microsoft Suit (particularly Word) and have the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Positive and professional attitude! The Accounting Specialist must collaboratively work with other departments and professionally communicate with clients; a positive customer service philosophy is essential.
What the Accounting Specialist does:
- Assist the Controller with various accounts receivable and accounts payable activities including: processing tax returns, monthly reconciliations, managing transactional accounting duties, billing, managing 940’s and 941’s, and other related tasks.
- Conform with and understand the regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions in relation to GAAP and other accounting standards.
- Completes audit work papers by documenting audit tests and findings.
- Ensures compliance with established internal procedures by examining records, reports, operating practices, and documentation.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation.
- Appraises and maintains adequacy of internal control systems including recommending new policies and procedures.
- Performs duties as a backup to the Payroll Specialist
- Maintains and continues professional and technical knowledge by attending educational events, reviewing professional publications, and establishing professional networks.
- Create and deliver presentations to internal employees as needed.
- Participate in weekly meetings and provide update on any assignments, tasks, or projects.
- Support the overall business strategy and represent the company in a professional manner.
What you need:
- This role is entry-level – recent grads welcome!
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in Accounting is required.
- Is very proficient in using the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Has the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively through active listening as well as oral and written forms of communications.
- Ability to take care of clients’ needs while following company procedures.
- Strong organizational, time management, and prioritizing skills to ensure productivity levels and deadlines are met.
The physical demands:
- This is a largely sedentary role so must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time without problems.
- Must be able to have repetitive arm, wrist, hand and/or finger movement to type and work on computer.
- Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Ability to use close vision and able to focus including but not limited to reading/proofing various material, and looking at a computer screen.
- The position will require the ability to lift 25 lbs.
$17 - $19 hourly
StaffScapes is a premier Professional Employer Organization (PEO) providing small to mid-sized companies with outsource human resources services in the Denver area and across Colorado since 1996. The Accounting Specialist position is an essential part to the success of our organization. This position will assist the Controller with overseeing payroll processing, benefits administration, reconciliations, tax filings and responsibilities including federal, state, and local taxes and other accounts payable/receivables processing tasks as needed.
Why work for us:
- Competitive wages
- Generous employer paid benefit plans
- Matching 401(k) plan
- PTO, sick and holiday pay – office closed most major holidays
- Bonus potential
- Fun, collaborative work environment
- Nurturing environment - we love training and developing our employees
- Great company perks – holiday events, team building events/outings
- Freedom to “own” the job
- Growth opportunities